Ny Efile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ny Efile

Does Anyone Know If Ny Accepts Irs Efile Providers Or Do They Have Their Own Registration?

NY has its own rules and you must qualify as a NY preparer and pay something like
    $100 to become registered, something along those luines. It is a PAIN! Accordingly I paper file all NY returns. I suggest that you look it up and expect it to be complicated. Perhaps a NY preparer can correct me and provide details.

Comment

You do not have to pay any fee if you do less than 10 NYS returns. It's very easy to register - go to www.nystax.gov.

Click on tax professionals, you can read the details and you should be good to go. It is not worth the possible hassle from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance by not registering.

Comment

Ea

However, if you are an EA you do not have to register with NY, or a CPA or whatever exclusions NY makes on their web site. I'm in CT and e-file all my NY commuters just fine.

I was told at a seminar to start the registration process to get the message that I do not have to register and to print that page for my records -- which I did.

Comment

Originally posted by dyne View Post
          NY has its own rules and you must qualify as a NY preparer and pay something like
          $100 to become registered, something along those luines. It is a PAIN! Accordingly I paper file all NY returns. I suggest that you look it up and expect it to be complicated. Perhaps a NY preparer can correct me and provide details.
          If you prepare more than 100 NY returns, you're required to efile. You're required to register, regardless of whether you file paper or efile, unless you're in one of the exempt groups. See http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
            If you prepare more than 100 NY returns, you're required to efile.
            I don't believe that is accurate.

This is the NY mandate.

You must e-file all individual income tax, fiduciary and partnership returns (including Form IT-204-LL) and individual income tax and partnership extensions beginning on January 1, 2011 if you're a tax return preparer and:

•you were subject to the mandate in a prior year, or
            •you meet both of the following conditions:
            ◦you prepared more than 100 combined original individual, fiduciary and/or partnership returns for tax year 2009 in calendar year 2010, and
            ◦you use tax software to prepare ONE OR MORE New York State individual, fiduciary and/or partnership returns for tax year 2010 in calendar year 2011.

Comment

Working...
            X