NT but Economic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT but Economic

Not Tax - but the new checking system put into place in recent years.

A subscribing retailer runs your check through a cash register sensor along with the receipt from purchase. The clerk gives you your check back, encrypted with certain marks, and [poof!!] the money is immediately sucked out of your checking account. No heartburn with this so far.

However, here is what happens next. Clerk shoves another ticket under your nose and asks you to authorize them to automatically draft your bank account in the event your check "bounces" (even though they've already got your money). Overdraft fee varies from $30 to $40 and they tell you not to worry about anything just sign the authorization.

My question: Does this happen in YOUR state? Is it even legal? Should it be?

I can tell you this much, if they are authorized to draft your account, your bank will NOT stop them even if they draft billing disputes, or even accidentally add a zero to the amount.

Don't know if it's legal here but I've had it happen. I don't do business with those places anymore so can't say if they are still doing it.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

People still use checks?

Wierd

Chris

Comment

I haven't heard of this, but I don't think I'd sign it. They can either process the check or reverse the entire transaction as far as I'm concerned.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I have not wrote a check at a store in years. Use my debit card. I did have a customer that tried to pay for a computer at one of the office stores and his check would not go through their system. Told him to call the people who process the checks. Something like checkmark... not sure. Well he has never been able to get through to them and he can not use checks at that one store. No other store has any problems just this one office store.

Comment

Working...
          X