Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension

Is the failure to file penaly dropped if an extesion is timely filed without any payment on taxes due.
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Originally posted by RLymanC
    Is the failure to file penaly dropped if an extesion is timely filed without any payment on taxes due.
    It is exactly what it says. It is an extension to file and not to pay taxes. So the penalty for filing is dropped but there will be interest on taxes due
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Country Boy

An extension does not forgive the requirement to PAY your taxes, that's what prompted my question.
      Confucius say:
      He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

used to be

That used to be the problem. An extension was not valid unless 90% of the tax due was paid timely. I guess that was too unfair even for the IRS, because they changed it quite a few years ago.

Comment

Penalty

The big penalty is the failure to file and an extension takes care of that. The failure to pay penalty will rack up at a whopping .5%/month (that's .005 x tax due).
          I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Working...
          X