Goodwill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodwill

These Goodwill tickets are just driving me up the wall.

Some of my least charitable-minded clients perk up when I ask them about charity. Of course, there are no cash contributions, but there are always a half-dozen or so tickets where they clean out the house and take bags and bags of stuff down to Salvation Army, Goodwill, whatever. These places always provide a receipt but never a value.

I did have a receipt one time with a value on it. The value ($2500) was in black ink and rest of the ticket was in blue ink, and in different handwriting. When I started asking him the questions required for over $500 he told me to just forget it.

Ask the client and the response is always "Oh this was very good stuff, almost new!! And cost us a lot of money when we bought it." If they want to deduct more than $500, and I tell them there is another form with detailed questions, they usually just quit and act crestfallen.

Taking stuff to Goodwill is a good thing, socially responsible, and helpful to many people. My clients would be better off, however, if they did away with this mishmash deduction and allowed them to deduct productive job expenses without the 2% haircut. If this happened, I still think people would take bags and bags when they did their spring cleaning.

the organization cannot provide the value. So the different color of ink is not an issue. What they do need is a detailed list of what was donated; 2 mens shirts @ $5 each, one end table @ $25, etc. No '5 bags of clothes'. Value is what the organization will sell it for and there are lists available online from Goodwill & the Salvation Army (as well as programs like 'It's Deductible' that will provide ranges of values.

Comment

If I were writing the rules, I'd tie the deductibilty of non-cash contributions to the existence of meaningful cash contributions. That would probably help Goodwill out as well, since they wouldn't continue to be the middleman between some people and the trash dump. Evern notice the overflowing dumpsters at some Goodwill locations? There's a reason for that.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

The one I love is like the one I got today. "1/2 TRUCKLOAD." That's it. And there is the client who says, "just put down whatever it is they let you take." I've been doing a lot of educating the last couple of years too.
        Last edited by Burke; 02-22-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Probably Misunderstood

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
          So the different color of ink is not an issue
          Missed the point Joan. The charity obviously did not write the amount in. The taxpayer did, for obvious reasons.

Comment

Non-Cash contributions

Client must have the signed receipt from the organization.

Client must have the detail of what was donated:
            2 shirts @ $1.00 = $2.00
            1 pants @ $5.00 = $5.00

and totaled.

Or it doesn't get used on their return, assuming they can itemize.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

Donor's cost.

The FMV is hard enough to obtain. But what's even harder is the donor's cost or adjusted basis, in column f. The client will not remember this amount. Will "various" work in this column, or is there a simple rule of thumb to plug in the amount?

Comment

Goodwill if more than 250 - 500

The clients that want to take advantage of higher deductions for non cash to Goodwill, Salvation Army - I now only have a handful,

I have sent them the IRS Print out on this issue, and then also request the list using Salvation Army, Goodwill (online) or using It's Deductible, and request that they also lay everything out on the floor or bed, etc, and take a photo for records.

I think I have successfully discouraged one client from the higher deductions, by the requirements. He has only been claiming less than $500 the last two years for non cash donations.

Anything, so I don't have to complete that darned 8283 form.

Sandy

Comment

FMV not always needed

Originally posted by Fuzzy Faced Leader View Post
                  The FMV is hard enough to obtain. But what's even harder is the donor's cost or adjusted basis, in column f. The client will not remember this amount. Will "various" work in this column, or is there a simple rule of thumb to plug in the amount?
                  Columns d, e, and f on Form 8283 are only needed if that donation exceeds $500.

Generally if people make it that far for a large non-cash donation, they have an itemized list and/or relevant details.

OTOH, if they (annually?? ) give "$2500 worth of used clothing to Goodwill" I probably might not even want that return in the first place.

FE

Comment

Working...
                  X