Downloaded W-2's/1099's Pet Peeve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded W-2's/1099's Pet Peeve!

Doesn't it irritate you that these clients who download their W-2's and 1099's because they want to file ASAP without waiting for the original W-2/s or 1099's in the mail?

And their printer is low on ink or toner and they expect you to read them when they can't.
    Jiggers, EA

No more than when the old carbon paper interleaved W2s would go through the mail system and get that black band that made them useless and you had to call the employer for new copies or a faxed original. I used to have Jeep's payroll number memorized.

Comment

It's the teeny weeny itsy bitsy little tiny fonts that drive me nuts.

Comment

Let's not forget the joy of opening hundreds of unopened client tax document envelopes.

Or when clients do open them ....those folded edges of the W-2s and SSA-1099 that nobody opens correctly look like they were torn open by a angry monkey.

Comment

However, opening the envelopes can be a fun exercise if the client is sitting there with you. Just pull out the key info with one hand and begin cramming the boilerplate and the envelope into the shredder with the other hand while you're chatting with the client. If your shredder is really noisy, so much the better. You have to do this at a really fast pace so they dont have an opportunity to object. It's fun to watch the client's expressions as it grinds and whines away while you're talking over the noise.
          Last edited by JohnH; 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Love it....

Love hearing these stories as I've gotten all them and get them often....part of our business I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
              Doesn't it irritate you that these clients who download their W-2's and 1099's because they want to file ASAP without waiting for the original W-2/s or 1099's in the mail?

And their printer is low on ink or toner and they expect you to read them when they can't.
              And they print four copies of the 4-to-a-page forms!

Comment

OoooH! But just think of it. Shredding excess W-2 forms in front of them is the most fun of all.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  OoooH! But just think of it. Shredding excess W-2 forms in front of them is the most fun of all.
                  . . . . . .

Comment

may BE the only way they can get them

I have had a couple clients that can only access the W-2s online and print them. They are not real happy about it, but it is a sign of the times.
                    AJ, EA

Comment

This one drives me nuts.

Client comes in, dumps about 30 envelopes (some opened/some not) on my desk, picks one up, quizically looks it over, up, down, and sideways (as if from Mars) for a good 30 seconds. Then proudly and authoritatively announces "This is my W-2!" (thanks for the tip). Next: "This is my Social Security slip." And so on and so on; obviously intent on going through the other 28 as if I had nothing else to do except watch this fiasco.

Mostly I just say "Let me have them and I'll sort it all out later," but sometimes... they want to do it themselves (why not at home?) and I'm finally forced to almost jerk the stuff out of their hands saying "Sorry, I don't have the time to (unsaid: "humor your goofy a**") to do this now, I'll look them over and call you."

Comment

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
                        I have had a couple clients that can only access the W-2s online and print them. They are not real happy about it, but it is a sign of the times.
                        I've also had this....sign of the times for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                          Client comes in, dumps about 30 envelopes (some opened/some not) on my desk, picks one up, quizically looks it over, up, down, and sideways (as if from Mars) for a good 30 seconds. Then proudly and authoritatively announces "This is my W-2!" (thanks for the tip). Next: "This is my Social Security slip." And so on and so on; obviously intent on going through the other 28 as if I had nothing else to do except watch this fiasco.

Mostly I just say "Let me have them and I'll sort it all out later," but sometimes... they want to do it themselves (why not at home?) and I'm finally forced to almost jerk the stuff out of their hands saying "Sorry, I don't have the time to (unsaid: "humor your goofy a**") to do this now, I'll look them over and call you."
                          Hahahahahaha!!!!

Comment

Yes, but look at it from the client's perspective. Although unlikely, it is POSSIBLE that you've never seen a W-2 before, that you don't know a 1099 from a 1098, or that a K-1 leaves you looking like a cow staring at a new gate.

He's just wanting to be sure you don't make any mistakes on the most important project you have today - HIS return.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                              Yes, but look at it from the client's perspective. Although unlikely, it is POSSIBLE that you've never seen a W-2 before, that you don't know a 1099 from a 1098, or that a K-1 leaves you looking like a cow staring at a new gate.

He's just wanting to be sure you don't make any mistakes on the most important project you have today - HIS return.
                              If he even believes you have any clients other than himself.....this is funny!

Comment

Working...
                              X