• Show
Clear All

Rita

Dependent filed return first and claimed self

Parents filed and claimed dependent

The IRS rejected the e file of parent but accepted the child

Any way to fixed parents to e file or is the only solution a paper return

Yeah, paper file

Paper file it is. And amend the kid's return. Charge real good.

Durn kids.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I have already decided I am putting the following in my client letter next year. "If you have a child in college, DO NOT allow them to file their own tax return, until you have done yours."

Comment

Yeah!

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        I have already decided I am putting the following in my client letter next year. "If you have a child in college, DO NOT allow them to file their own tax return, until you have done yours."
        Under penalty of death. Just like the tags on mattresses.

Comment

Got the last laugh

My 40-something client-mom came in yesterday -- said she had her college daughter FreeFile. Kid only earned $3,100 at Pizza Hut, but claimed herself (of course). Mom asks "Will that (roll eyes here) cost me anything?" "About $400-450," I say. "I did it last year; why didn't you bring it back to me?" "You charged me ten dollars for it," she replied.

I'm not amending either for love nor money.

Comment

When I had this situation, I told the client to send her son back to H&R Block (an office that used to have a great reputation, actually) for the amendment. I don't understand how a 19-year-old living at home with Mom & Dad with them paying $30,000 for his college can be considered a non-dependent on a total of $7,000 in earnings ($6,000 after withholding), but I suspect he would not have paid the $75 for the return if he had gotten a smaller refund. I charged $10 for his return the year before.
            Doug

Comment

You know

You know, I think our problem is that we don't rip people off. It seems to me that some people just don't feel good about their professional unless they are paying too much. These same people will pay an attorney $5300 to git em that disability and sing his praises. But just charge $10 bucks to do a tax return, and you're greedy. What is this, a yard sale?

Comment

My prices are very reasonable, and I think I have kept clients by not being too greedy. However, I have found that charging too little seems higher than just the right amount. For instance, a recent post said they charged $10 for an dependent return. That seems high to people because it is so easy. But $25 for an easy dependent return sounds like a bargain. You are greatly reducing your fees for them. "I can do that for not having the hassel", they will say.
                Last edited by JG EA; 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM.
                JG

Comment

Working...
                X