Direct Deposit, Paper Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct Deposit, Paper Return

I have a client that is having to mail in their return because of the adoption credit. If the direct deposit information is entered on Page 2, 1040 will the refund be put in the bank or is there always a check sent for paper returns?

I've never done a paper return with direct deposit so want to make sure.

Thank you
    Dany

Yes.

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
    ,,,If the direct deposit information is entered on Page 2, 1040 will the refund be put in the bank...
    Dany
    You can do it either way you want to for paper returns. If you fill in the bank info they'll get a direct deposit. If you leave it blank they'll get a paper check. I've done it both ways lots of times.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 02-17-2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Paper Return - Direct Deposit

Agree with BB,
      If you enter Direct Deposit info and even though you file as a "paper return" the refund should be direct deposited to the Account Listed. Have had a few over the years.

Sandy

Comment

Thanks Bart!

They are getting a good sized refund so they did not want to get a check unless they had too. They will be glad to hear this.

Comment

Additional

On the federal return, if the bank information is entered on lines 74 of the Form 1040, the direct deposit should occur. (This assumes the IRS person entering the data does not overlook it.....).

Some states have different rules, and with a paper return a direct deposit may not be possible.

(It's kinda like a pre-scheduled direct debit and/or 2011 US estimated tax payments that generally can only be made via an efiled return.)

FE

Comment

Also regarding refund status- clients (and I on their behalf sometimes) are used to checking "Where's My Refund?" on irs.gov. Paper filed returns, not just efiled ones, will show up on this page, too, for tracking when the refund can be expected.

Comment

Form 8888 will let you direct deposit federal return into up to 3 seperate bank accounts, or even buy US Savings Bonds.

Comment

Phantom Form 8888

Originally posted by ToledoEd View Post
                Form 8888 will let you direct deposit federal return into up to 3 seperate bank accounts, or even buy US Savings Bonds.
                True dat, but most of my clients have a hard enough time coming up with one account to use.

As for buying savings bonds......I think not for a myriad of reasons.

So far no one has chosen more than one deposit account, and I won't repeat some of the responses I get about the savings bonds question.

FE

Comment

I don't even mention the Saving's Bonds most of the time, but it is an option. I can't remember ever having anyone request multiple accounts, except one divorcing couple who split their refund into different accounts.

Comment

Working...
                  X