Form 9325 - acknowledgment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 9325 - acknowledgment

I just received an email from my software company (CCH) that my first e-filed was accepted by the IRS. The email was sent to me by CCH.

Shouldn't I be getting Form 9325, or some other form of acknowledgment, directly from the IRS itself?

The format in the email is similar to that of Form 9325 but it did not come from the IRS. It came from CCH.

A quick search suggests the answer is no. See http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=205435,00.html

Comment

I don't mean to be silly or, flippant, but how do I know the IRS accepted the return if all of the documentation comes solely from my tax software vendor. In theory, couldn't someone at tax software vendor be emailing me with this "acknowledgment" even though the return never got transmitted?

If I file a paper return by certified mail, return receipt requested someone from the IRS must sign for it. The IRS acknowledges receipt by means of its signature on the return receipt. I know they got it, they know they got it.

What do I have other than the software vendor's email "saying" the IRS accepted it?

Comment

nothing!!

the only thing you will have is the message from the software company. If you want a direct confirmantion you need to take the next step and become the company sending in the returns. Leave that to the big companies.
        That is just how it works.
        In all the years I have never had one wrong that the software company sent to me. It is all automatic anyway. There is no one sitting there doing it.
        AJ, EA

Comment

Form 9235

Form 9235 is a form you use to tell client that return was accepted.

Comment

acknowledgements come from software company

That is one of the reasons you choose the software company you do. It might be because they offer free efiling or at least you can efile through them.

The first year I filed direct with IRS, I think. It was because the software company was charging me to efile. Then I changed to TaxslayerPro and have efiled through them for 10 years. I have never had a problem.

One advantage too is that if you get a reject, you can call the software company and they will usually help you work out the problem and you don't have to deal with IRS>

Linda. EA

Comment

It seems shocking to me that there isn't a unique acknowledgment number provided by the IRS when they "tell" the software company it's accepted. In this computer era, their computers ought be be able to do that.

I get a unique acknowledgment number when I buy a $4.95 book online.

Comment

ack from software

On my acknowledgement from the software company each return has a separate DCN and the date IRS accepted the return.

That should be all you need. In fact, I have called IRS and the DCN was all I needed.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                  In this computer era, their computers ought be be able to do that.
                  You forget that the IRS computers are circa 1982. FORTRAN wasn't set up to do that sort of thing. It would overwhelm the vacuum tubes to have that much information to transmit. 8^)
                  "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X