W-2 control number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W-2 control number

I've noticed that some W-2s have two control numbers on them , one on top of the other. Some control numbers are short while others are very long.

Do I enter all of the numbers/letters/symbols?

What if there are two rows of numbers in the control number box?

(this is my first year e-filing)

As far as I know, the control number is there for the employer's use. There is no need to enter this information onto the tax return. My software does not even have a field to enter it.

Comment

If there were two

I only enter the control numbers if there were two or more sets of W-2s, such as a W-2C or a second set arrived with a cover letter siting an error and to disregard the first or maybe even a married couple with the same employer. It's for the employer's use. So, unless I think I might have to contact the employer re which W-2 he filed with the IRS, I don't enter the control numbers.

Comment

Not a requirement to enter (yet?)

Some software does not even allow the inclusion of control numbers for W2s. And my guess is many people whose software does allow such frequently do not bother to enter it.

The number apparently is some type of "employee" number, not unlike an account number.

I have noted in the past that for clients who wanted to view/download W2s from their employer/payroll company, the control number had to be entered to obtain such information.

FE

Comment

This has been very helpful from all of you. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X