Energy credits for two houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy credits for two houses

During 2010 the taxpayer fixed up the house he was living in and then bought and moved into a new house. He still has the first house.

Can he claim credits for both houses as long as he incurred and paid for the costs while he was living in the respective homes?

Yes

I would say yes but the limits per category are not doubled so taxpayer will probably max out before getting everything.

Comment

Yes

If both home qualified as the principal residence at the time the improvements were done. If they were done to the second home before moving in, then I would say no.
      quote from research"
      "An expense won't fail to qualify just because it was made for two or more dwelling units; the credit is computed separately for the expenses for each dwelling unit. ( Code Sec. 25C(e)(2)(B) ) FTC ¶ A-4755 ; USTR ¶ 25C4 ; Tax Desk ¶ 569,555 If the credit is allowed for an expense for a property, the increase in the property's basis that would otherwise result is reduced by the credit allowed ( ¶ 2478 ). ( Code Sec. 25C(f) , Code Sec. 1016(a)(33) ) FTC ¶ A-4757 ; USTR ¶ 25C4 ; Tax Desk ¶ 569,557 "
      AJ, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
        I would say yes but the limits per category are not doubled so taxpayer will probably max out before getting everything.
        Also, the max is a lifetime amount. I have a lot of people think they get $1,500 every year.

Comment

Working...
        X