Eic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eic

Client 61 is claiming sister who is 64 as a dependent. Sister is receiving disability social security. Clients income is below EIC threshhold. Can she claim EIC using sister as disabled qualifying relative.

Qualifying child

TTB 11-9
    I reviewed this to be sure...
    For EIC, the taxpayer might qualify for EIC if her own income is below the threshold.

A qualifier must be a child. "Qualifying Child" is the term. So, while a "qualifying relative" will qualify a taxpayer for Head of Household filing status, only a "qualifying child' will qualify the taxpayer for EIC.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Eic

Under qualifying child on page11-9 of TTB it says

1. Relationship - can be sister
      2. Age - under age 19 and younger than taxpayer unless permanently
      and totally disabled

Client's sister meets these qualifications. It just sounds so outrageous I
      was questioning it.

Comment

64 is younger than 61?

Comment

Eic

Same paragraph in TTB. States under age 19 and younger than taxpayer,
          under age 24, student, and younger than taxpayer or permanently and
          totally disabled, regardless of age.

Does the regardless of age just refer to meeting the age requirement or does
          it also refer to the younger than taxpayer requirement.

Comment

Sorry, my bad. It appears she qualifies.

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post

TTB 11-9
              "Qualifying Child" is the term.
              And in that paragraph, sibling is defined as an EIC-Qualifying Child.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl View Post
                Same paragraph in TTB. States under age 19 and younger than taxpayer,
                under age 24, student, and younger than taxpayer or permanently and
                totally disabled, regardless of age.

Does the regardless of age just refer to meeting the age requirement or does
                it also refer to the younger than taxpayer requirement.
                Directly from Form 8867 Part II question 12:

Was the child (at the end of the year on line 1)—
                ● Under age 19 and younger than the taxpayer (or the taxpayer’s spouse, if the taxpayer files jointly),
                ● Under age 24, a full-time student, and younger than the taxpayer (or the taxpayer’s spouse, if the taxpayer files jointly), or
                ● Any age and permanently and totally disabled?

Thus the "young than" does not apply to permanently and totally disabled.

Comment

Here's some info that might help. I got a dreaded EIC with Sch C return today. Ugh.

Comment

Right!

I knew that she qualified as a dependent, but not for EIC purposes. I need to re-read that, and stop answering questions!
                    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
                    X