Couldn't believe my eyes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't believe my eyes..

Every so often I still see a handwritten depreciation schedule from a predecessor accountant, I guess that whole spreadsheet thing is mystifying, let alone a special program. But last night I saw a real throw back.

Client brought in a photocopy of the county assesor's *handwritten* ledger sheet for their property tax for a NV county. I knew those folks liked horses better than cars, but really...

You are correct

[QUOTE=outwest;113555]I guess that whole spreadsheet thing is mystifying...QUOTE]

Funny!

And yes, actually, I think it is mystifying. I love the ones that go to all the trouble of entering their figures on a spreadsheet and some entries have decimals, some do not, and their formula adds half the column.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

depreciation schedule

I saw a handwritten return (tax year 2009) yesterday where even the 4562 and details of the depreciation were handwritten on a separate piece of paper......unbelievable.

Comment

My favorite was several years ago I had a client that brought me there prior return and told me they had bought the rental property 2 years prior. I tried every possible method for depreciation trying to figure out how he was depreciating the buildings. When he came back I asked him and he said,"Oh, I just made a number up, was there a formula I was supposed to use?"

Comment

Most people would simply read it off the ceiling..

at least that's where they always look when I ask the question.

Comment

I believe

Originally posted by ToledoEd View Post
            My favorite was several years ago I had a client that brought me there prior return and told me they had bought the rental property 2 years prior. I tried every possible method for depreciation trying to figure out how he was depreciating the buildings. When he came back I asked him and he said,"Oh, I just made a number up, was there a formula I was supposed to use?"
            I had to tell a guy yesterday to separate his expenses into categories: "You know, utilities, insurance, supplies, etc."

He comes back with figures for "utilities, insurance, and supplies." Then he tells me he didn't really HAVE "utilities, insurance, or supplies" expenses per se...
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by outwest View Post
              at least that's where they always look when I ask the question.
              Hahahaha.....this is funny.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                I had to tell a guy yesterday to separate his expenses into categories: "You know, utilities, insurance, supplies, etc."

He comes back with figures for "utilities, insurance, and supplies." Then he tells me he didn't really HAVE "utilities, insurance, or supplies" expenses per se...
                Wow.....hilarious!

Comment

Grand Champion

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                  Then he tells me he didn't really HAVE "utilities, insurance, or supplies" expenses per se...
                  Geez Rita!! And we thought only Yankees were dumb!

Comment

Working...
                  X