Are these property taxes deductible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these property taxes deductible?

Taxpayer's dad died in 2010 and left house to her. Title hasn't been transferred to her from the estate as they hope to have the house sold in the Spring. Taxpayer paid the 2010 property taxes. Technically the house is hers...but the title is not in her name. Deductible?

I vote maybe. She is the equitable owner and she did pay the tax. Not sure if the property taxes should be added to basis or deducted, though.
    Last edited by BHoffman; 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
      I vote maybe. She is the equitable owner and she did pay the tax. Not sure if the property taxes should be added to basis or deducted, though.
      Agree..........................
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
        Taxpayer's dad died in 2010 and left house to her. Title hasn't been transferred to her from the estate as they hope to have the house sold in the Spring. Taxpayer paid the 2010 property taxes. Technically the house is hers...but the title is not in her name. Deductible?
        Is there more than one beneficiary? If the will specifically left the house to her and there were others, then she properly paid the taxes, as legally, title transferred to her at death. But you say title has not been transferred to her from the estate? Is it in the estate's name? And they are planning to sell it? Is it actually part of the estate? If so, then the estate should reimburse her for the taxes as the sale proceeds would become part of the estate to be distributed among all the heirs.

Comment

Agree with Burke

Agree with Burke

Comment

Working...
          X