Mileage Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage Log

I'm in the process of researching this if no one walks through the door. I'm thinking I read somewhere that we can no longer take the total miles from people and stress that they must have a mileage log and what it needs to include, but the we now have to see the mileage log and examine it ourselves. Am I thinking right?

dont have to

examine the log yourself BUT you do need to explain to the client that a mileage log is required and what it should contain - If YOU have DOUBTS about the mileage (or miles dont seem to be "believable") then you probably should refuse to use them...

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
      I'm in the process of researching this if no one walks through the door. I'm thinking I read somewhere that we can no longer take the total miles from people and stress that they must have a mileage log and what it needs to include, but the we now have to see the mileage log and examine it ourselves. Am I thinking right?
      Your research should lead you to §1.274-5T if you want the truth of the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon View Post
        Your research should lead you to §1.274-5T if you want the truth of the matter.
        I attempted to read all of the language in that section, but I have yet to come across anything in regards to the responsibility of the preparer in reference to denying someone's mileage without this type of substantiation.....that, I think is the original poster's question. Do you have a section to research for that?

Comment

Originally posted by kpangelinan View Post
          I attempted to read all of the language in that section, but I have yet to come across anything in regards to the responsibility of the preparer in reference to denying someone's mileage without this type of substantiation.....that, I think is the original poster's question.
          That is the point.

For tax preparer responsibility see §1.6694-2(d)(3)(i)(C).
          Last edited by solomon; 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Thanks,

That is the point.

For tax preparer responsibility see §1.6694-2(d)(3)(i)(C).
            Got it....thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kpangelinan View Post
              Got it....thanks.
              You staying warm way up there?

Comment

Mileage Log

I have my clients sign a statement showing their total mileage, business mileage, and that they have the records to substantiate that mileage.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                  I have my clients sign a statement showing their total mileage, business mileage, and that they have the records to substantiate that mileage.
                  But the preparer still has responsibility under §1.6694-2(d)(3)(i)(C) although the taxpayer signs the statement.

Comment

Not too bad actually....

You staying warm way up there?
                    This has been a really warm winter up here in Maine......even now, this early in the morning, it's 31 degrees out....it's been a pretty mild winter, except for the past couple of storms, not bad at all. We had a cold spell for a few days only where it was double digits below zero, but other than that, it's been 20's and 30's all winter.......I'll take it!

Comment

Working...
                    X