Raid on a Tax Preparers office in CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raid on a Tax Preparers office in CO

"Some people don’t take “no” for an answer. In this case, a raid that occurred at a tax preparer’s office in 2007 has been the subject of numerous filings as to the constitutionality of the search and use of evidence obtained in the raid" as quote from the website: http://www.pogowasright.org/index.php?s=Weld+County

I got to thinking, what if a bunch of people came to office flash some ID's from a state and/or Fed dept that I never heard of (I dont think any of us know the names of all the depts within the state and/or Fed that is authorized to do this) and requsted copy of my client or clients tax returns. Who do I call, the IRS, the FBI, local Sheriff, Gov, my Mom etc.

My tax attorney friend who is on speed dial.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
      "Some people don’t take “no” for an answer. In this case, a raid that occurred at a tax preparer’s office in 2007 has been the subject of numerous filings as to the constitutionality of the search and use of evidence obtained in the raid" as quote from the website: http://www.pogowasright.org/index.php?s=Weld+County

I got to thinking, what if a bunch of people came to office flash some ID's from a state and/or Fed dept that I never heard of (I dont think any of us know the names of all the depts within the state and/or Fed that is authorized to do this) and requsted copy of my client or clients tax returns. Who do I call, the IRS, the FBI, local Sheriff, Gov, my Mom etc.

Smith & Wesson

Comment

E&o

Your E&O insurance legal department and your own business/criminal lawyer. Definitely, the department they claim to be from, reporting their name and badge number, and asking if they do indeed work there and asking for a hard copy of what they are requesting and the cite of the law that requires you to provide such information without the client's consent.

Comment

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Burton gave us this exposition on the subject last year and I printed it and kept it my file.

Comment

If these officials have a court Search Warrant, you comply to the extent of the warrant right after you tell them you want legal representation and then call your lawyer. You say nothing.

If they have a summons for tax information, signed by a judge, you accept the summons, get your lawyer on the phone and then promise to respond as soon as the clients' right to challenge the summons has expired, in 25 days. If you hand over information sooner than that, you will violate your clients' due process rights and your negligence will cause your E&O insurance to pay off and then cancel your coverage.

If they show up with nothing but demands for information, they don't get past the public reception area and you give them nothing but a nice smile and a demand for a court authorized order to provide information. Otherwise you violate Circ. 230 which shortly will apply to all preparers not just the enrolled.
            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
              Smith & Wesson
              I like the Sec 357 version.

Comment

Mom

I think calling Mom would be a good idea. She is the fiestiest old lady you have ever met. One time she made a dealership take back a car because the salesman harassed us into buying what we didn't want.

I think she could handle anyone......or they would give up trying.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
                X