1098-T again - no dates on transcript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1098-T again - no dates on transcript

This is the second 1098-T transcript that shows the details but no dates. Since one of them included the spring 2011 semester and neither me nor the taxpayer has knowledge if college received grant and student loans in Dec. 2010 or Jan. 2011 the college needs to be asked. Taxpayer got some of the student loan funds returned to her, but that didn't happen until the second week in January.

I guess I am just venting and find it very disturbing that the transcripts don't show dates, at least not the ones that can be obtained by the student over the internet.

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
    This is the second 1098-T transcript that shows the details but no dates. Since one of them included the spring 2011 semester and neither me nor the taxpayer has knowledge if college received grant and student loans in Dec. 2010 or Jan. 2011 the college needs to be asked. Taxpayer got some of the student loan funds returned to her, but that didn't happen until the second week in January.

I guess I am just venting and find it very disturbing that the transcripts don't show dates, at least not the ones that can be obtained by the student over the internet.
    Don't confuse the 1098-T form with an official tuition statement from the college. that's not what the "T" stands for.

It's always incumbent upon taxpayer to prove tuition payments.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      Don't confuse the 1098-T form with an official tuition statement from the college. that's not what the "T" stands for.

It's always incumbent upon taxpayer to prove tuition payments.
      While I was writing the thought came to me that that is what others might think I think T=transcript. Funny isn't it?

Comment

That's one approach to take

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        Taxpayer got some of the student loan funds returned to her, but that didn't happen until the second week in January.
        Nice work if you can get it!

As for the scholarship funds (loans are pretty much N/A), most folks will reduce the 2010 tuition by whatever scholarships that "eventually" showed up. If they take the full amount in the first place, then there has to be a lot of paperwork to "unclaim" the higher education expenses erroneously taken.

And maybe the "T" stands for "trouble" ???

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          And maybe the "T" stands for "trouble" ???

FE
          That is a good one and sooooo true!

But I think I am still not clear as to the provision that expenses for tuition are paid in 2010 for the spring semester of 2011 (starting within 3 months) can be deducted in 2010. If college receives grants and scholarships for such semester in December than I am OK and agree with college to include in box 2 and check box 7.

However, if they receive "the payment" (grant and loan funds) in January, it should not be included. Anyone disagree?

Comment

Working...
          X