1099 R Code P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099 R Code P

Client received a 2010 1099 R code P (Gross Distribution $4,000 Taxable Amount $4,000). I understand that this code represents an excess contribution for a prior year (2009). The reality is, the taxable amount listed ( $4,000 )was not taken as a deferral in the prior year anywhere on the taxpayer's return, as it actually was an eligible Roth Contribution, which the brokerage firm misclassed as a Simple IRA contribution (thus the excess). Can I amend 2009 and report the gross distribution, but report that none of it was taxable, based on the fact that there was no tax benefit to the taxpayer? I hate to have to try to get a corrected 1099R as I do not have much faith in this brokerge firm (which will remain nameless) due to prior encounters in trying to get them to correct past reporting errors.

Rlmea

Don't amend the 2009 tax return just so it will jibe with an incorrect 2010 1099-R. Explain the situation to the taxpayer and have them request a corrected 1099-R. If one is not forthcoming, file a paper return reporting the facts...with an explanation. Document the misclassification. So what if it might generate a CP2000. If you're in the right, the facts speak for themselves.

Never bend the return to fit the broken paperwork. Request the corrected 1099-R.

Comment

Working...
    X