Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audit close question

What do you folks think is best with this:

Helped client in audit; finally settled down to an amount that she can agree on. Now IRS wants signature to the agreed amount; the formal signature part. If she does not sign it, does it really matter? It will go to collections any way, but I thought best if she could sign and formalize a payment plan or... , although the payment plan will cost her money.

What do you think is best in this situation?

Thanks

rfk

Originally posted by rfk View Post
    What do you folks think is best with this:

Helped client in audit; finally settled down to an amount that she can agree on. Now IRS wants signature to the agreed amount; the formal signature part. If she does not sign it, does it really matter? It will go to collections any way, but I thought best if she could sign and formalize a payment plan or... , although the payment plan will cost her money.

What do you think is best in this situation?

Thanks

rfk
    Yes. Always dot the i's and cross the t's, not just for client's sake, but to maintain your
    good looks with IRS.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

She wants it to go to collections

Hi Harlan,

She does not want to deal with it as a signature situation, but wants them to just send it to collections and work out a payment arrangement later. I told her it was best to sign officially. But...

rfk

Comment

Sign

If I understand you correctly, the IRS wants your client to agree to their audit finding which she is okay with. If she does not sign, then I believe the IRS will just disallow all deductions and send her a larger bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
          If I understand you correctly, the IRS wants your client to agree to their audit finding which she is okay with. If she does not sign, then I believe the IRS will just disallow all deductions and send her a larger bill.
          Yep! OP's client should do the right thing.

Or, to put it another way, in this game of audit poker remember that the IRS holds all the trumps and aces.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
          X