Continuation of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuation of

Veritas' question "What is the most irritating thing you hear during tax season?"

BB: Okay, so that's all the income then, right?

T/P: Well, yeah, except for the $5,000 I got from Joe Blow. But don't worry about it, he paid me in cash.

Originally posted by Black Bart
    Veritas' question "What is the most irritating thing you hear during tax season?"

T/P: Well, yeah, except for the $5,000 I got from Joe Blow. But don't worry about it, he paid me in cash.
    My neighbor did it on turbo tax and she said I can take the deduction.
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Just yesterday. Nice old lady who had some home improvements done. The contractor assured her that she "could take them off on her taxes." She doesn't have a mortgage, and even if she did, she doesn't have enough to itemize.

I said no. She said "I thought the guy was nuts. He just kept insisting, so I thought I'd ask."

When a client tells me about the (silly) tax advice he or she got from, say, the real estate agent, I say, "It would completely irresponsible for me to give you advice on buying or selling real estate because I don't have any idea what I'm talking about."

After the gears turn a bit they finally figure out what I'm saying.

Isn't it interesting how the credibility factor jumps when the advice is something the client wanted to hear?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart

That $55 W2 (with taxes held out), didn't matter, so I threw it in the trash! It was so little any way.
        SueBaby

Comment

Here's mine for today

New client came in. She had told me it was just a simple return when she called for the appointment. Handed me a stack of about 9 envelopes. (Just a SIMPLE one), containing 2 W-2's, 2 1099-int, 2 mortgage interest statements, and 3 1099_B's.

Her husband sold stock. She said "Oh, I think he just borrows against his stock once in a while". I said "No, these are stock sales. I will need to know how much the stock cost him when he bought it." "Oh, how will we know that?"

Don't you just love them? She says I will get this for you right away. We are leaving for Italy on Saturday.

Linda F

Comment

"My brother is a retired accountant. He says he knows a way around us paying so much taxes. We don't have to count the rental income as income. I'm not sure how he does it but he says its legal".

"I'm a admin assistant for this guy who hasn't done his taxes for 5 years. I am doing the S-Corporation on Turbo Tax. It keeps asking me about a K-1. I don't know what that is. Can I bring my laptop by and you show me how to do it?"

"Oh, I thought you used Turbo Tax to prepare tax returns".

"Can you tell me why Turbo Tax keeps asking me to enter a 1099-misc".

Got a call from a new customer who constantly referred to me as "babe", "darling", "honey".

Comment

GeekGirlDany

I would not stand for that kind of "put down." I would simply say my name is and I would appreciate you use it in referring to me.

Comment

How come nobody calls me babe or honey?

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany
                  Got a call from a new customer who constantly referred to me as "babe", "darling", "honey".
                  You chicks are so sensitive!!!
                  I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Well I told him to call me Danyelle. But he did say it a few more times. It was an old fella so I didn't pay much attention to him. If it was a younger one though I would make sure he stopped it. I'm use to women, espeically older women, calling me "honey" or "darling". Being from the south I guess I'm use to it. But this is the first time I had "babe" from a man.

Comment

Convenience Stores

Originally posted by veritas
                      Go to one of them down South and I guarantee you the cashier will call you "hon," be you
                      male, female, child, dog, or whatever...but...they're just being friendly.

I think Danyelle's got a point there. The guy (older or not) is probably patronizing her with those names--it's kind of a subtle way of saying to her that "I'm wiser and smarter than you, but I'm also such a regular guy that I'm going to be nice to you and tolerant of your immaturity and/or lack of knowledge." It could be that he's heard and used those names all his life and doesn't give it a thought. It could also be that he's used to feeling superior to young females, likes things the way they are, and doesn't want/intend to change or give any consideration to the views of others.

To the males: Try putting yourself in her place. How'd you like to be "talked down to" by somebody who was pretty obviously trying to imply that they were smarter than you, but were willing to "humor" you?

Comment

Perhaps not old enough

Originally posted by veritas
                        When a woman gets old enough she stops being called babe by men and starts being called hon, sweety, deary, by women.
                        JG

Comment

Babe

Originally posted by JG EA
                          When a woman gets old enough she stops being called babe by men and starts being called hon, sweety, deary, by women.
                          Well, yeah, that happens. But why should she have to wait?

Granted, a twenty-ish person is more likely to be called something like that and maybe even in the paternal or maternal sense, but that doesn't necessarily make it right.

Let's say somebody (any age) comes in, asks for an opinion on taxes, you give it and they reply "Well now, babe/ honey/ sweetie (pick one), I understand you think it's that way, but here's the way it really is" (the way he/she wants it done). Now, if they were basing their reference to you on affection/admiration (unlikely--they just met you and chances are you don't look like Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie) then you might like it--I'm an ordinary-looking older male and if it was a very good-looking woman I might have no objection at all--but that's beside the point. You're trying to deal with them on a professional level, but instead of referring to you as Mr. JG, they use those names as a way of trying to diminish you to the level of an uninformed child in order to impose their will on you (I know that sounds a bit overstated, but it seems to me to be their true purpose). You wouldn't like it, I wouldn't like it, Danyelle doesn't like it. We'd much prefer to be called a respectful Mr. BB or Mr. JG just like she'd like to be called Ms. GGD.

I know, I know, you may say "another PC nut," but I don't think so. She's just asking for the basic respect that would be afforded any other professional person. All cynical chuckling or sniggering aside, what's wrong with that?

Comment

I kind of get that feeling. LIke maybe I don't know as much. Like I said I think this is the only one who has ever done it in a business setting. I get it some outside of the office, not very much though. Some people use "hon" at the end of every sentence. Can become very annoying.

Thanks Black Bart for explaining it You know how it is down in the south

Comment

Best reply

A term of endearment when given by a total stanger is usually insulting. No one should use them but they do. So, perhaps a reply in kind would make them think.
                              "Yes, darling, thank you."
                              "Why, I didn't know you cared so much about me, honey doll sweety pie."
                              Of course it is annoying to be referred to as an intimate friend by someone you hardly know. Ideally humans should treat each other with dignity at all times. They don't of course.
                              I tried to consider the source and let it go, but decided to reply in kind to let the other person know how their remarks sound to me.
                              JG

Comment

Working...
                              X