How to amend a W-2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to amend a W-2?

I understand we need Form W-2C to amend a incorrect W-2. What about a 2010 W-2 that has been mistakenly issued to a former employee who did not work there in 2010? Shall the employer issue a Form W-2C to that former employee with all '0's?

Yes, that is how you correct it.

Maribeth

Comment

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
      I understand we need Form W-2C to amend a incorrect W-2. What about a 2010 W-2 that has been mistakenly issued to a former employee who did not work there in 2010? Shall the employer issue a Form W-2C to that former employee with all '0's?
      And a phone call to the former employee advising him of the error would be decent as well.

Comment

Certainly an employer needs to advise the guy who got the erroneous W2 to disregard it.

However if the W2's have not yet been mailed in to SSA, and they aren't due until Feb 28th you know, then it simple just to void the red copy with incorrect one and add one onto the end of the stack for the correct employee.

No need to issue any W2c form.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          Certainly an employer needs to advise the guy who got the erroneous W2 to disregard it.

However if the W2's have not yet been mailed in to SSA, and they aren't due until Feb 28th you know, then it simple just to void the red copy with incorrect one and add one onto the end of the stack for the correct employee.

No need to issue any W2c form.
          That's why I always hold these until 2/28, makes life MUCH easier!

Comment

Working...
          X