Can't efile..now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't efile..now what?

I have a client originally from Asia...believe it or not, he has no last name (he only has a first name..he said it's their culture back home). So the program is not going to efile the tax return. But they also require every tax return to be efiled now...what are we supposed to do?

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
    I have a client originally from Asia...believe it or not, he has no last name (he only has a first name..he said it's their culture back home). So the program is not going to efile the tax return. But they also require every tax return to be efiled now...what are we supposed to do?
    What does his SS Card have on it. I would treat it as his last name.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
      What does his SS Card have on it. I would treat it as his last name.
      Well, he said it's his first name and he has been using it as his first name...so can he file a paper tax return under the situation? Does the IRS allow exception?

Comment

I just called my software company..they said the mandatory efiling requirement doesn't come into effect until next year..is it correct?

Comment

Well, he said it's his first name and he has been using it as his first name...so can he file a paper tax return under the situation? Does the IRS allow exception?
          A SS Name is what it is. I would use it as a last name. If it won't go through efile then paper file it.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I just called my software company..they said the mandatory efiling requirement doesn't come into effect until next year..is it correct?
            Beginning Jan. 1, 2011 if the preparer files 100 or more returns, then e-file is mandatory unless there is a preparer hardship which requires Form 8944. On Jan. 1, 2012 the number is 11 or more.

However, if there is a reason to file paper other than preparer hardship, then Form 8948 is required - which probably is appropriate in this case.

See Notice 2010-85 for complete information.
            Last edited by solomon; 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Mandatory Efile

Here is a link

go to the Frequently Asked Questions #15 and form 8948 - sign that form
              There is either # 1 - taxpayer chose to file this return on paper or
              #4 - this return was rejected by IRS e-file and the reject codition could not be resolved
              Then many other options.

So even with the mandatory efile of returns you prepare - there are still options for filing a paper return

So much for paper reduction
              Last edited by S T; 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM. Reason: fix link

Comment

Match his SS card

Make his name and SSN match his SS card. The match is with what the SSA says his name is. He could call the SSA to confirm.

Comment

Show me the card!!

Whatever is on the Social Security card (I assume you saw it?) is what goes on the tax return.

For my 2ยข worth, I cannot imagine a SocSec card ever being issued with only "one" name.

FE

Comment

Well, he said it's his first name and he has been using it as his first name...
                    If he said it is his first name, then what is his second name? People with only one name do not say it is their first name. They just say it is their name.

Comment

I agree.

It is conceivable to have a person with only one name, but in most asian countries they follow the tradition of a given name and a family name (i.e., surname). While it works similarly, you may not have gotten the answer you were looking for (i.e., What is the family name?)

You really need to have some identification of this person and I would think you need to go with what is associated with the Social Security card regardless of what his actual name is.
                      Doug

Comment

I've had Asian clients who have a two letter last name and the efile won't accept it. Had to paper file the old fashioned way. Apparently the efile system requires at least a three letter last name. WT ?
                        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Four?

Something in the back of my mind says they match the SSN with the first four letters of the last name in efiling. So, what do we do with a client with less than four letters?

Comment

Well, I have a similar problem.

I couldn't get a return to efile. So I had my client paper filed it. But I have forgotten to attach the Form 8948.

Will their tax return be rejected?

Or will I be penalized?

Comment

No

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
                              Well, I have a similar problem.

I couldn't get a return to efile. So I had my client paper filed it. But I have forgotten to attach the Form 8948.

Will their tax return be rejected?

Or will I be penalized?
                              I would say NO you wont be penalized since IRS "obviously LOST the 8948 FORM" that you attached - wink wink

Comment

Working...
                              X