Covenant Not To Compete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DONNA ASTON View Post
    Bob: I just read further here and the first installment of 60,000 is due October 1st of the next year
    So, the installment payments are due annually? Is there still a down payment of $30,000 + $30,000.????????
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

yes he has rec'd as a down payment and is recorded on the P/L $60,000. The remaining "The final $240,000 shall be paid over fice years in annual installments at zero percent(0%) with the first payment of sixty thousand dollars ($60,000) due on October 1st 2011.

Comment

Bob there are so many posts the non compete is 50,000 stating shall be allocated to the covenant not to compete over 5 years

Comment

Bob there are so many posts the non compete is 50,000 stating shall be allocated to the covenant not to compete over 5 years
          Not to worry.. Just trying to get all the facts so that the true sale price can be determined. When that is done your installment sale form will workout for you.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

OK> Here is the sale price:$ 271,537.68
            interest + 28,462.32
            total = $ 300,000.00

2010 interest> 1.006.41
            2011 interest>10,495.72
            2012 interest> 8,341.42
            2013 interest> 5,698.47
            2014 interest> 2,920.30

THIS IS THE CORRECT CORRECTED COMPUTATION.

2010 INSTALLMENT PRINCIPLE COLLECTED $58,993.59
            2010 INTEREST COLLECTED $1,006.41
            2010 TOTAL COLLECTED $60,000

Just subtract each year's interest from $60,000 to get the principle collected for each year.
            Last edited by BOB W; 01-06-2011, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Bob

Thank you so much for all your help. So If after all the posts the $271,537.38 goes on line 5 of the 6252 and $60,000 less yearly interest is line 21 of 6252. Back to one of the posts on covenant not to compete and is considered ordinary income and only capital gains qualify for installment method reporting. Is the total non-compete amt reported this year on the on part II of the 4797? The s corp is not being liquidated this year due to receivables.
              Thanks in advance

Comment

Sorry

confused on one thing on your calculation My client did receive $60,000 are you counting only the $30,000 as a down payment because of dates. Because the agreement states $240,000 as installment not $270,000. Thanks

Comment

confused on one thing on your calculation My client did receive $60,000 are you counting only the $30,000 as a down payment because of dates. Because the agreement states $240,000 as installment not $270,000. Thanks
                  Review my post> you will see the total interest that needs to be subtracted from the $300,000. I am not using $270,000, it is just coincidence that the adjusted sale price is about $270,000.

Comment

Thank you so much for all your help. So If after all the posts the $271,537.38 goes on line 5 of the 6252 and $60,000 less yearly interest is line 21 of 6252. Back to one of the posts on covenant not to compete and is considered ordinary income and only capital gains qualify for installment method reporting. Is the total non-compete amt reported this year on the on part II of the 4797? The s corp is not being liquidated this year due to receivables.
                    Thanks in advance
                    The covenant is subtracted from the adjusted sales price because it is reported separately. I haven't look at the 6252 but I remember a line where a subtraction is entered when the profit percentage is being calculated.

Maybe someone else will jump in and walk you through the 6252. I was just helping you get to the true sale price.

Comment

the number is the same got it. Thanks.

Comment

The example in The Tax Book shows sales price non compete as in agreement and the cost zero for a ordinary gain on 4797 of the total on agreement for non compete. Not really showing line item on 6252 installment form. But thanks and maybe someone else will jump in and I will read more

Comment

My suggestion

The example in The Tax Book shows sales price non compete as in agreement and the cost zero for a ordinary gain on 4797 of the total on agreement for non compete. Not really showing line item on 6252 installment form. But thanks and maybe someone else will jump in and I will read more
                          Donna, is too see someone to help you locally. The situation you are dealing with is complicated and subject too certain pitfalls.

Comment

OPTION 1

6252 LINE1 =271,537.68
                            LINE 8= 50,000.00

4797 PART 2 SHOW 50,000.00

OPTION 2

6251 LINE 1 = 221537.68

4797 PART2 SHOW 50,000 GAIN

While this may not be correct it will get you where you want to go.

50,000 ordinary gain
                            58,993.59 capital gain
                            1,006.41 interest income
                            Last edited by BOB W; 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

veritas

I did bounce it off someone locally, and yes it is complicated we will all agree there.

Comment

Bob

The person I bounced it off today basically concluded what your final summary is. We did not put all the numbers in the forms but concluded what is taxable and non-taxable ordinary and capital gains. Still working on it, but thank you all for the input.

Comment

Working...
                                X