adoption credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adoption credit

I posted this question on the "other" board and have received no answer. Would someone please venture an opinion? I can find nothing in writing that states definitively.

I have a client for whom I began the adoption credit in 2003 when the allowable credit was 10160. Taking a portion in 2003 and 2004 left 3257 of the original 10160 amount. However, the tax program I use gives a larger credit, based on the allowable figure for 2005- 10630. I called support for the tax program and was told that there was no way to change the numbers as programmed into the software. What is correct?

credit doesn't change

You're carrying forward the credit. The fact that the max credit for the next year changed doesn't change the amount of the carryforward.

Bill

Comment

Override

You need to override your software. Not all software allows this (they all claim to, but when you get down to the line item, the "questionnaire" approach won't work to override).
      Often if you override software, it won't allow you to e-file.

Tubbs is right. The adoption credit carryforward is so rare, not many software companies will partition the credit into prior years and current year, so you're stuck with a program that only addresses the current year.

Comment

thanks

Thank you for answering. I'm sure you are right. If my software support won't help- but I'm hoping they will- I guess I'll have to file a paper return for my client. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X