Checkpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checkpoint

Do any of you subscribe to Checkpoint and what do you think of it? Is it worth the money?

I use it

I use it every day. I use it a lot for this board. Probably more for the board's theoretical questions than my own clients who I already know. If you are not already well-trained in the basics, it will be hard to use. In any case I recommend for your #1 desk aid a quick-reference like The Tax Book.

Checkpoint is very fast and complete, though I don't take advantage of most of the stuff available. I don't know how much it costs--probably a lot, depending on what you want to get.

Comment

Please Share

What is checkpoint???
      Sandy

Comment

Checkpoint

Checkpoint is a tax research database run by RIA. It has online versions of all their references, such as the Federal Tax Handbook, all their deskbooks, current news bulletins, checklists and sample letters. They also have source material like the code, the regs, revenue procedures and rulings, and legislation with analyses. No court cases, though.

Take a look. .. http://ria.thomson.com/trials/

Comment

How

does RIA compare to CCH. I'm pretty sure CCH has a similar product?

Comment

checkpoint

I use Checkpoint and am very happy with it. We used the full version at the firm I used to work for but I subscribe to the Tax Desk which is scaled down somewhat but still seems to have most of what I need. I also subscribe to several PPC publications such as the Tax Compliance series which you can bundle on line with Checkpoint. I don't purchase it that way since I'd rather have the disks, but it would be convenient to be able to link back and forth. I'm always amazed when I can't find the answer to my research with so many options at my fingertips. That's why I appreciate this board so much.

I believe the cost was $730 for the package that I got, although I later added e-forms for an additional charge. I spend more than that annually on various PPC publications but overall I feel well covered as far as research goes (usually!)

Comment

more with accounting

CCH does have a research program but I haven't tried it. It seems to have a smaller tax library but does more with accounting.

Comment

I use Checkpoint, and it's FREE!

Drake software users get free online access. I use it daily, and love it. Plus, it's FREE!

Comment

Free

Wow, sounds like Lacerte needs to step up!

Comment

I am a big checkpoint fan, my renewal this year is $608 after "discount". They send out e-mail updates daily and post a weekly newsletter.
                    Dan

Comment

Checkpoint / Kleinrock

I signed up to get a free trial of Checkpoint Tax Desk (without forms). The rep quoted me $885. It's just me here in the office. Several of you, Natiro & CPADan in particular, quoted more reasonable rates $730 and $608. Was there a special or some discount for being affiliated with a group, etc?

The product looks good & I have used in the past. I like the idea of having checklists & client letters available. However compared to the $605 I'm being quoted for Total Kleinrock Office with early renewal discount, $885 seems steep. (And Kleinrock offers soem state & employment research too, although I would hardly ever use those.)

Comments from anyone who has used both? Until Lacerte incorporates a research program, I'm stuck looking for something.

Comment

Working...
                      X