Two-state woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is part 2 of the associated regulations:
    (4) A person can have only one domicile. If a person has two or more homes, such person's domicile is the one which such person regards and uses as such person's permanent home. In determining such person's intentions in this matter, the length of time customarily spent at each location is important but not necessarily conclusive. It should be noted however, as provided by paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of this section, a person who maintains a permanent place of abode for substantially all of the taxable year in New York State and spends more than 183 days of the taxable year in New York State is taxable as a resident even though such person may be domiciled elsewhere.

(i) Husband and wife. Generally, the domicile of a husband and wife are the same. However, if they are separated in fact, they may each, under some circumstances, acquire their own separate domiciles even though there is no judgment or decree of separation. Where there is a judgment or decree of separation, a husband and wife may acquire their own separate domicile.

(ii) Children. A child's domicile ordinarily follows that of such child's parents, until such child reaches the age of self-support and actually establishes his or her own separate domicile. Where the mother and father have separate domiciles, the domicile of the child is generally the domicile of the parent with whom such child lives for the major portion of the year. The domicile of a child for whom a guardian has been appointed is determined by the facts and circumstances of the situation and is not necessarily determined by the domicile of the guardian.

(6) Members of the Armed Forces. Section 514 of the Federal Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940, as amended, (50 U.S.C. Appx. § 574) provides that for purposes of taxation, an individual in the Armed Forces of the United States is not deemed to have lost such individual's domicile in any state solely by reason of being absent therefrom in compliance with military orders. Thus, such Federal law insures that an individual in the Armed Forces of the United States domiciled in New York State would not be deemed a domiciliary for income tax purposes in another state in which such individual is stationed. On the other hand, an individual in the Armed Forces of the United States domiciled in another state who is stationed in New York State would not be deemed a domiciliary, for personal income tax purposes, of New York State. The rule is, generally speaking, that the domicile of a person is in no way affected by service in the Armed Forces of the United States. A change of domicile has to be shown by facts which objectively manifest a voluntary intention to make the new location a domicile. It is possible for an individual in the Armed Forces of the United States to change such individual's domicile; however, the requisite intent is difficult to prove.

(e) Permanent place of abode.

(1) A permanent place of abode means a dwelling place of a permanent nature maintained by the taxpayer, whether or not owned by such taxpayer, and will generally include a dwelling place owned or leased by such taxpayer's spouse. However, a mere camp or cottage, which is suitable and used only for vacations, is not a permanent place of abode. Furthermore, a barracks or any construction which does not contain facilities ordinarily found in a dwelling, such as facilities for cooking, bathing, etc., will generally not be deemed a permanent place of abode. A dwelling place maintained by a full-time student enrolled at an institution of higher education, as defined in section 606(t)(3) of the Tax Law, in an undergraduate degree program leading to a baccalaureate degree, and occupied by the student while attending the institution is not a permanent place of abode with respect to that student. A full-time student is an individual who is carrying a minimum courseload in such program of 12 credit hours per semester for at least two semesters, or the equivalent, during the individual's taxable year.

(2) The determination of whether an individual in the Armed Forces of the United States maintains a permanent place of abode outside New York State is not dependent merely upon whether such individual lives on or off a military base. This is only one of many factors to be considered in determining whether a permanent place of abode is being maintained outside New York State. Some of the other factors include the type and location of quarters occupied by such individual and members of such individual's immediate family and how and by whom such quarters are maintained. Barracks, bachelor officers' quarters, quarters assigned on vessels, etc., generally do not qualify as permanent places of abode maintained by an individual in the Armed Forces of the United States. Further, the maintenance of a place of abode by an individual in the Armed Forces of the United States outside New York State will not be considered permanent if it is maintained only during a duty assignment of a limited or temporary nature.
    Please note in these regulations that an undergraduate student who maintains an apartment is not defined as a resident individual. That was a recent change to fix an obvious problem with students not wanting to attend school in New York where they might need to live off campus. However, the regulations continue to define graduate students as residents under the same circumstances. Since this entire area is relatively new, you will not see any of this in the audit guide they use which has not been revised since that change was made. Please see NY State TSB-M-09(15)I here:

which I am not quoting in its entirety below (but whose text I have deviously modified to highlight what I am contending is true in the above paragraph):
    Under the 2009 amendment, a permanent place of abode means a dwelling place of a
    permanent nature maintained by the taxpayer, whether or not owned by the taxpayer, and will
    generally include a dwelling place owned or leased by the taxpayer’s spouse. However, a
    dwelling place maintained by a full-time student enrolled at an institution of higher education, as
    defined in section 606(t)(3) of the Tax Law, in an undergraduate degree program leading to a
    baccalaureate degree, and occupied by the student while attending the institution is not a
    permanent place of abode with respect to that student.

For purposes of this new rule, a full-time student means an individual who is carrying a
    minimum courseload in a baccalaureate program of 12 hours per semester for at least two
    semesters, or the equivalent, during the tax year. Accordingly, the amendment does not provide
    an exception for graduate students pursuing a post-baccalaureate degree.
    Last edited by dtlee; 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM.
    Doug

Comment

Interestingly, I have not found the "11 month" rule mentioned in the publication anywhere except the audit guide where it states:
      For statutory resident purposes, an individual who maintains a permanent place
      of abode in New York State, must maintain such abode "for substantially all of the
      taxable year". For this purpose, substantially all the taxable year means a period
      exceeding 11 months. For example, an individual who acquires a permanent place of
      abode on March 15th of the taxable year and spends 184 days in New York State
      would not be a statutory resident since the permanent place of abode was not
      maintained for substantially the entire year. Similarly, if an individual maintains a
      permanent place of abode at the beginning of the year but disposes of it on October
      30th of the tax year, s/he too, would not be a statutory resident despite spending over
      183 days in New York. Since the individual in each of the above examples did not
      maintain their permanent place of abode in New York for more than 11 months, the
      individuals would not be considered residents of New York State for any part of the
      year. Audit Division policy considers the "substantial part of a year" rule to be a general
      rule rather than an absolute rule. For example, suppose a couple rents an apartment in
      New York year after year, but each year they sublet the apartment to their son for the
      month of December. Under the absolute rule, this couple would not be maintaining a
      permanent place of abode in New York since they do not maintain it for more than 11
      months of any particular year. However, the Division's position is that this couple should
      properly be covered by the 183 day rule since they are maintaining the abode on a
      regular basis.

The issue of "substantial part of the year" applies only to statutory resident
      cases. However, as shown below, the test for statutory residency may apply even in a
      situation where an individual changes domicile during the tax year.
      Part of the point of all of this is that there is no uniformity among the states defining residency. While the example I gave was one that I had hoped would not lead to controversy, I had deliberately avoided the issue of Graduate Students because, I felt it would appear too irrational.

Most New York State preparers are aware that Graduate Students who maintain the same apartment year-round (perhaps attending summer and winter sessions as well as the standard semesters) must be treated as New York State residents, even if they did not live in New York prior to attending school and have no intention of living in New York State once they receive their degree. For these students, it is quite easy for them to be residents of their home state as well because living in New York to attend school would likely be considered a temporary absence.
      Last edited by dtlee; 12-29-2010, 09:14 AM.
      Doug

Comment

That is some good information

In my case if I have a graduate student who is not a dependent of another and in another state for the majority of time I have always used the state they are going to school in as their resident state. They are usually making money while going to school and have their own residence in the state. So in the case of a graduate student attending school in New York there could be the case of being a resident in two states.

So of I had a Minnesota resident through undergraduate years, but than goes to grad school in New York. Per New York and the former home state the student could be a sesident in both states. In this case NY must stipulate for this situation there is no income tax credit allowed for taxes paid on that income to other states..

Thanks for the information it was good..

Comment

Originally posted by JON View Post
          I think federal court comes into play on a lot of issues between states.
          Not the tax court.

Comment

From NY Pub 80:

You are a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:
            • Your domicile is not New York State but you maintain a permanent
            place of abode in New York State for more than 11 months and spend
            184 days or more (a part of a day is a day for this purpose) in
            New York State during the tax year. However, if you are a member of
            the armed forces, and your domicile is not New York State, you are
            not a resident under this definition. Also, if you are a military spouse
            domiciled in another state, but located in New York State solely to be
            with your spouse (who is a member of the armed services present in
            New York State in compliance with military orders), you are not
            considered a resident under this definition (see Publication 361,
            New York State Income Tax Information for Military Personnel and
            Veterans).
            or
            • Your domicile is New York State. However, even if your domicile is
            New York State, you are not a resident if you meet all three of the
            conditions in either Group A or Group B as follows:

follows:
            Publication 80 (12/10)
            Group A
            1. You did not maintain any permanent place of abode in
            New York State during the tax year; and
            2. You maintained a permanent place of abode outside
            New York State during the entire tax year; and
            3. You spent 30 days or less (a part of a day is a day for this
            purpose) in New York State during the tax year.

Discussion: I suspect that because his wife and kids stayed behind for half the year that NY will take the position that he does not meet point 1 above, and is therefore, a resident. If not, then he is a PA resident and she a part-year resident of both states. A MFS return might actually be in order here to avoid scrutiny.

Comment

You see, all you doubters, it may not seem plausible or fair, but in the NY/SC scenario cited above, both SC and NY would consider the person that took a job in NY but whose spouse & kids remained behind in SC would be considered a resident of both states.

NY & PA would consider him both a resident in the OP situation.

Comment

I've now had a couple of conversations with the NY DTF.

They never close the door on the husband being considered non-resident. It boils down to his being able to present "clear and convincing" evidence of intent to change domicile. This is obviously pretty fuzzy, but I think we may have a good case. One helpful circumstance may be the fact that the timing of his move is for the convenience of his new employer. If he had had his druthers, he would have changed jobs in the summer and moved with his family. His new employer wants him NOW.
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

It's on p. 8 of Pub.88.

Originally posted by dtlee View Post
                  Interestingly, I have not found the "11 month" rule mentioned in the publication anywhere except the audit guide...
                  It's on p. 8 of Pub.88.
                  Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by dtlee View Post
                    JG,

You got me. I was obviously out to deceive people and I should really apologize for implying that the sentences I quoted from the NY State publication was actually the entire NY State Tax Code. While this forum will not allow me to post the entire state code into my post, I am going to just post a relevant snippet from the NY State Tax Code here:
                    I deliberately disregarded the military provision in my prior post. I apologize to all.
                    OK, Uncle!!! I will fill out a NY return ths year just on the off chance I thought of NY or said "I love NY" at some point during the year. That way I won't have to read all of the rules.
                    JG

Comment

OK another MN tax preparer ask me this...

Husband and wife separate a the end of 2009. The husband takes a job in Seattle, in December of 2009, the divorce is not completed in 2010. For whatever reasoon they filed separately in 2009-he had not received a payroll check in 2009 from the Seattle job. In 2010 he works only for the Seattle employer and does no plan to ever return to Minnesota. The preparer is trying to figure out if he has any liability in Minnesota. I told him no he is a State of Washington resident (even if filing joint-which they will not do.) He has changed everything over Washington he loves his job out there is nothing temporary about it. The house in MN is still listed as joint and he does send money back to wife and child. Washinton has no state income tax.

Was I wrong in my advice???

Comment

Maybe. Does MN require abandonment of the previous domicile to establish a new one? Do they have rules allowing a person domiciled in MN to be taxed as a non-resident? If so, does he meet the requirements?

Comment

Working...
                        X