Form 8846

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 8846

Haven't done too many of these in almost 30 years-HELP!

Line 1 of the form asks for tips received by the employee and on which SS & MC taxes were paid. This amount would appear to come right off of the W-3 (Social Security Tips) or box 7.

Line 2 is where i am having the problem-how do i come up with the tips that are not allowed for this credit? Is there a short cut or do i have to have the payroll service analyze each individual employee to see how much of their tip needs to go to meet the minimum wage.

I have not asked the payroll service but i do not think they have been filing form 8027?
    They have more than 10 wait staff.

Will this be a problem if i try to amend prior year returns?
    Sabre

" You don't learn much from the second kick of a mule."

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
    Haven't done too many of these in almost 30 years-HELP!

Line 1 of the form asks for tips received by the employee and on which SS & MC taxes were paid. This amount would appear to come right off of the W-3 (Social Security Tips) or box 7.

Line 2 is where i am having the problem-how do i come up with the tips that are not allowed for this credit? Is there a short cut or do i have to have the payroll service analyze each individual employee to see how much of their tip needs to go to meet the minimum wage.

I have not asked the payroll service but i do not think they have been filing form 8027?
    They have more than 10 wait staff.

Will this be a problem if i try to amend prior year returns?
    The instructions for Form 8846 say you have three years to amend.

As far as the line entries the figures would come from I think I would look at the 941's and the W-2's to make sure some correction wasn't already made.
    Note line 2:
    If you pay each tipped employee
    wages (excluding tips) equal to or
    more than $5.15 an hour enter zero on
    line 2.
    So, each employee:
    This is the total amount that would be
    payable to the employee at $5.15 an
    hour reduced by the wages (excluding
    tips) actually paid to the employee
    during the month.
    As for Form 8027 - It does seem if someone should have filed this. I'm not sure quite how that would affect your filings. Perhaps someone else has experience with that. But maybe they did and you could get copies to help you with your project.
    Last edited by JG EA; 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM.
    JG

Comment

Working...
    X