Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applied for Renewal of PTIN 11/1/10-No Word!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S T View Post
    Well I didn't want to wait until the last minute, nor did I want to be an "early bird", and IRS just updated the registration process this last week.

Just completed my online PTIN - and it went very smoothly - so guess they have all of the so called "glitches" worked out.

Took about 10 minutes - I printed out each screen as I progressed for reference in case of a problem, received online confirmation - received my existing PTIN #, they have my payment by credit card which I just received confirmation by email and I am good until December 2011.

Sandy
    Good to hear! I've been waiting around too... I think I'll do mine this weekend now
    Maria R., CRTP
    Los Angeles, CA
    Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

ptin

To add all my people who went electronically have received their old PTINS.The problem is if you don't go through it is taking over 2 months and still no reply.

Comment

Email from IRS PTIN

Just received my offical acceptance "Welcome Letter" via email.

All seems to be working as it should have in the last 2 months.

Now if the EA enrollment for this year will go as smoothly, I will breathe easier.

Sandy

Comment

Still waiting

I have not received my PTIN.

Comment

10/23

I mailed my W-12 on Oct 23. So based on a prior post I should expect mine late Dec or early Jan. I guess I will just chill a littel longer.

Comment

Luckily not only am I not married, but when I was I put myself first on the return. Figured I was doing the work, I should get the honor. lol. so although I heard the horror stories coming from the early test subjects that tried to apply online at the start, I waited until Oct 30, and all went smooth and took about 10 minutes. They didn't figure out the name problem until after Dec. 6, so by now it should be ok if you are not primary on the return & your name is different.

Comment

To anyone that mailed a w12... Did you include a copy of your SS card and DL?

Apparenlty on the IRS web page it listed these as required, but no where on the w12 does it mention this...

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Spanel - Did Not Include

Originally posted by spanel View Post

Apparenlty on the IRS web page it listed these as required, but no where on the w12 does it mention this...

Thanks

Chris
                  I did not include my DL or SSAN (copy) but I did include my original letter presenting my PTIN. In any event, I still do not have a renewal.

Comment

Ptin

I mailed mine 10/13/10 just called because check has not been cashed they told me I am in the data base they should cash the check this week and send me my letter.They are 60 days behind so if mailed in November they may not process til next year.I would say just use your old one till they process your application.

Comment

Further confusion via IRS

I applied online/paid fee in October. Took only a few minutes and the process went quite smoothly. I also received my "old" PTIN.

So, what came in the snail mail from the IRS yesterday? A letter advising me that I would have to register for my PTIN under the new rules and also pay the ~$64 fee.

I put the letter in the recycle bin.............

FE

Comment

Just renewed mine

I just renewed my PTIN on line sunday night and it went very smooth. The only wierd thing "I thought was that the process of entering was some what confussing but was able to muddle through and complete all in one night.

Superman

Comment

Ptin

Originally posted by bgiez View Post
                          I filed onlne on Nov 30, got an immediate charge to my credit card, but no immediate PTIN. Received an email "Welcome" letter today with the same PTIN I have been using since 1998.
                          I filed online. There was a couple of days delay, then I got my old PTIN re-assigned.
                          I don't trust the US mail when there is an alternative.

Comment

PTIN - But I just laughed a moment ago....

C'mon.. Stop all this Nay Sayers in which the IRS processes things slowly.
                            I've had my 'PTIN' for years.... I'm an IT guy! Let's do it On-Line. I was like COOL! Finally the IRS pulls into 2nd gear. Hopefully they'll take the training wheels off soon! .. Anyway.

** I TRIED ** to file on-line - And I won't tell you how long I was on the phone with different departments trying to make my on-line registration to work. I waited and kept trying while they 'IRONED OUT THE BUGS".. They were like walking me through the on-line screen (did I mentioned I'm an IT guy?) - character by character making sure I entered exactly what they see on my 2009 return / 2008 RETURN.... Capitals - lower case. No period after RD. but make sure it's Rd. - It was nuts - I felt like we were in day school - NOW PUSH THE M a t t h e w J o n e s (with the Sr. without the Sr. NO Sr no period.

Finally - just a week or so ago I bailed and mailed mine in. ME! hah! I MAILED IT. LAST WEEK! - December 7th -

NOW YOU MAKE ME HEAR oooooooooo...........
                            1) You've been waiting since when!? The beginning of the QUARTER!? Sh!t..
                            2) You didn't want to be too EARLY? - Hell, I wanted to be FIRST!
                            3) You didn't want to be too LATE? - Seriously - F IRS T !*! - Okay. Top 7,214.
                            4) You mailed it on 10/13?? C'mon. STAB me why don't ya! - ME? Last week!!?!!
                            5) Did my wife put you up to this over the Insurance money!?? Thanks! Really!?
                            6) SS card and DL Copy? Really? - I Didn't do that either! - Wonderful! - I Can't!!
                            7) How would I get my SS card and DL into the on-line registration anyway?? Wait
                            Oh yea.. I mailed IT ! - IT should be different? Right?
                            8) My Identity was Stolen for 12 YEARS * Tracking the man down. Ahh SS even helped!.
                            Wow! That reminds me - I really Need to call the IRS back. That's a whole other
                            Great IRS Story!! ... I digress again....
                            9) No. I didn't send my original letter of PTIN acceptance. I believe I even have it
                            scanned in to PDF & Filed neatly... NO - I didn't send a copy - You did?
                            WHY? Where was this FINE PRINT? I scanned it - Magnified it I can't find it!!
                            10) WAIT! did I mail the right form? I mean - How many questions were on it?
                            Seriously - Okay - Follow me... I'm the IRS - - Well not me.. But like for now I am -- Nevermind - It's complicated.... Okay - I get your SNailed Application and I type in YOUR SS# into the Application Processing Computer Type Screen and I then - Ummm.. and Hit ENTER . I would glance at the screen. Glance at the paper -- glance -- glance - look for differences. R I G H T !! - IT IS the IRS - I don't care if you've never prepared taxes in your life and this is your first time dealing with the IRS as a PREparer. They TYPED IN YOUR SS# - Unless I'm mistaken. They ain't H&R Block (who has compiled a few SS#'s from the client base - I'm sure....)
                            This is THEM spelled I.R.S.. Don't they like have EVERYONES's SS# ?? --
                            I mean what smaller criteria would they have to enter such litte information { the SS# } and get back auto filled in fields galore!! - Verify the check $$ is with the application. And hit ENTER. BAM! Done.. Once this step is completed a barage of other criteria related tests come into play. From there on, IT should be almost 99% automated. They know if we've been naughty or nice.. Gotta be lotsa storage Splaces there!!

Okay... Had fun... Now... ARE YOU READY FOR A GOOD SEASON!!?
                            Me too!! The New Tax Software (preliminary) should arrive tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. .-- I'm NEVER gonna get a PTIN renewal.. And I'll have to spend my time telling some of my stories.. I'll change the names to protect something for some reason. You can tell some of yours -- get some humor going before we get hammered..
                            Last edited by MAJ; 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM.
                            Matthew Jones
                            Tax Preparation
                            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
                            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post

Thanks
                              Chris
                              I didn't.

Looks like the requirement to supply those 2 docs applies to preparers who haven't filed tax returns: http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/article/0...html?portlet=7 - Q. 11

Got my welcome email about two and a half weeks after mailing W-12

BTW- Check out Q. 14 on the webpage link; says if you have a paper W-12 pendng, it is OK to go ahead with the online application anyway.
                              Last edited by BP.; 12-15-2010, 08:42 AM.

Comment

also efiled

I efiled on Nov 23, got an immediate confirmation with same PTIN as before. No problems at all.
                                One EA I know ended up with a new PTIN. But she thinks she put different middle initial or name. I don't know about other states but in Florida your driver's license uses your maiden name as your middle name but no one ever uses that. Anyway she thinks that is what happened. She wasn't concerned.,.. just said she would use new number.

I might be tempted to call just to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail system.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X