TTB vs Webportal vs CD...what did you purchase & why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TTB vs Webportal vs CD...what did you purchase & why

I usually purchase TTB deluxe edition hard copy but I am ordering late and I am not a fan of those updates I need to print and install in the binder that I swear does not like me. I am curious what others purchased and their reason. I am leaning towards the webportal and I guess the only problems I can think of is: 1. My internet goes down 2. I need access at a remote location and the location has no internet access. Did I miss any? I usually use my kids laptop to access online stuff while I am working on my main laptop. Works out pretty good.

I ordered the CD

The CD is easy to update and you can click on links which take you to the internet.
    The web version has additional advantages but you could be right about delays if you can't access the internet quickly.

Comment

My internet access has be very good over the years so I bought the WEB PORTAL version. Could it be problems going forward, yes. Will it be a problem, I hope not.

Cloud issues always present cloud fears, especially during tax season. I chose not to have my tax programs go "cloud" but research material is not used so intensly as the tax programs. I was willing to take my chances, which I don't think will be a problem. Even if it goes down for a day, it is still OK.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I have bought both, for several years. The Deluxe Book and the Web CD. I just can not give up the book, have used it since 1987. If I am with a client I use my book, and then check the CD for any updates. If I am doing research I use the CD, I can find things so much better, and faster. I can also print out pages from the CD easier so I can put my research in their file. But I can not mark up the CD, and put tabs on the pages so I can find things faster, my book gets all marked up and flaged.

To many pros for each, that I feel it is worth it to buy both.

I tested the Web Portal, but I have a terrible internet service, and it was way too slow. I hope to be moving to town in January so may change to the WEB.

If this is your first year for the CD or the WEB I think I would buy both.

Comment

I have used the WebCD for the last 2 years and am happy with it, especially after the improvements last year. Updating requires little time and this year it may be good to have updated research material.

Comment

Web Portal

This is my fourth year with TTB if memory serves. My first year I bought the 1040, Small Business, and All States Editions. The second year I bought all that plus the Web CD. I found that I did not do the updates to the books and therefore felt uncomfortable relying on them so I essentially used only the Web CD which I liked so well that I bought the older versions as far back as were available. So last year I bought only the All States Edition and the Web CD. I bought just the web portal this year because so much more information is available. BTW I wish they would go on and up the price a bit so they could include ALL the authorities. Still for what you get the price is right. I am somewhat concerned about not having internet when I need it but I find I usually can get to the internet even when out and about.

Comment

The ultimate product is now TheTaxLibrary Web Portal. There is no longer a need to go through the update procedure since pages are now automatically updated on the web each time you access the web. The CD version will still require your computer to go to the web, search for an update, and then download the pages.

The other huge improvement, in my opinion, is that now for the first time, the entire Internal Revenue Code is included, and it is updated for the latest tax law change. That is huge, since there are actually very few sources that offer the updated code, and all cost over $100 for just the code itself. All of the Internet free versions out there are not updated, so it really does no good to check the code from a free source, when you have no idea if that version of the code is still correct. Plus, every time TheTaxBook has a code citation in the text, one click takes you to the latest updated code.

It is obvious that Congress will continue to change tax law, even after tax season begins. TheTaxLibrary is really the only product in its price range that is updated each time the law changes, with a link to the actual law itself. As convenient as the printed books are, I think we are all going to continue to be more and more dependent on the web for updated information, just like we already are dependent on having internet access for our tax software updates.
              Last edited by Bees Knees; 12-10-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Another huge difference this year is that all of the government libraries are complete, and constantly updated for new ones. I just got an email a few days ago from IRS about the "opt-out" provisions from the new e-file mandate. Even though that IRS notice is only a few days old, TheTaxLibrary already has it in its database and is easy to access. That means there is a lot of research we can now do on subjects that are not even covered in the printed version of the books.

Comment

Bees> I went with the Web Library only with the All States add on, it made the most sense. Those with good internet service should do the same. But since there are different practices and they have different needs> to each their own.
                  This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                    All of the Internet free versions out there are not updated
                    That's an exaggeration. As an example, the code linked from the IRS site (I believe at Cornell) has never been more than two years old in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Davc View Post
                      That's an exaggeration. As an example, the code linked from the IRS site (I believe at Cornell) has never been more than two years old in my experience.
                      Two years old is not updated. There are many changes to the code that occur each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                        Two years old is not updated. There are many changes to the code that occur each year.
                        I didn't say it was updated timely, but it does get updated.

Comment

Web

I went over to the web portal this year. I have used the CD in the past. I like the automated updates to the web version but liked how the page scrolling in the CD version worked better than the web version.

I also buy a printed research book from their competition because all of us tax geeks probably like curling up to a good book before we go to sleep.

I get so much value from this website that I would feel guilty not supporting the company by getting at least one of their products.

Comment

I purchased the Web Portal Plus yesterday. I also buy a hard copy of the book. It's hard for me to get away from grabing the book real quick when I need to check something. But, I decided to go ahead and try the Web Portal Plus with the States book. I like the auto update. But, I especially like being able to get the tax code and rulings etc. I think that will be very valuable.

So, I'll see this year how well it works out.
                            You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Working...
                            X