Memory upgrade on Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory upgrade on Laptop

Is it true that upgrading memory increases the laptop to process faster but increases the laptop to run warmer meaning the more one increases the memory, the warmer the laptop gets?

Memory Upgrade

I can not tell you if the additional memory would cause the laptop to heat up mor or not. I have foud that a cooling pad works for a laptop. I have one and it has a fan in it to help keep the laptop cooler. It receives its power from the laptop via a USB Connector. It would not be very useful if you are not using the laptop on electrical power as it may draw the battery down faster.

Comment

Dany or MAJ

I would PM Dany or MAJ on this one. Dany used to be a computer tech and still does some work in the field and MAJ as I understand it is still an active computer pro.

Note that a given computer is able to take only the kind of memory and only the amount of memory it was designed for. At least my understanding is that going outside those parameters will result in a computer that doesn't work at all. I couldn't tell you whether the experiment would risk damaging the computer or the memory sticks or both but it wouldn't surprise me if the answer was yes. But the point is that although the computer was sold do you with only a given amount of memory, it was designed to be able to take more and it would surprise me if an allowable memory upgrade gave you any negatives other than the money you had to spend. I bought my current laptop with all the ram it can handle but I bought my last laptop with less than it could handle. When I upgraded to the max, it increased its speed at loading applications and web pages and especially in its ability to multitask. I had dialup internet service the entire time I used that machine but I found that I could download a software update, chat in a chat room, and have three or four Instant Messaging conversations going whereas before the upgrade if I wanted to download a software update having more than one other window open would cause the computer to lock up on me.

Comment

Working...
      X