Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

What is the most irritating thing your hear during tax season?

I'll have my stuff for you next week....

Comment

Originally posted by veritas
      What is the most irritating thing your hear during tax season?
      I forgot my check book again
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Last year my favorite was "I bought Turbotax and did my return. I'm wondering if you could check it for me?"

Comment

"I don't know when I got that stock or what I paid for it."

Comment

you can look it up

Oh, Lucent? That was from when I used to work for the phone company. Let's see, seventies, early eighties, I think. There was some kind of split--you can look it up.

Comment

Do I owe you anything for that?

Comment

Any call that goes like this...

Caller: "I was just wondering how much it would be to do my taxes"

Me: "Tell me a little about your tax situation."

Caller: "Nothing too complicated...worked 3 different jobs, lived out of state a while, received 1099 for some work, want to claim live-in girl friend plus our kid together as dependents, etc.etc."

Me: "That would start around $xxx"

Caller: "That much? I called another place that would do them for $35. I'll get back to you."

Comment

"Oh you do taxes, I do mine on Turbotax it makes it so simple. I do all my friends and family too." Read into this your experience is worthless and thats what I'm really saying.

Comment

"I'm just going to drop off my stuff" (with the expectation it will be done immediately).

"You didn't tell me (6 years ago) about that."

"Why didn't we take that last year, we're missing deductions." (When in my notes it was asked and answered.)
                    JG

Comment

Originally posted by BRIAN
                      I forgot my check book again
                      Brian, that has been my "beef" exactly. I ask for a "post dated " check when they can't pay up that day. When they get their refund, I cash check.....it is HOT!! I track them down for weeks and FINALLY get my money for a shoebox full of 'stuff' they brought. NEVER will I have them again or else CASH up front.
                      SueBaby

Comment

Loved the replies to the question .. sounds as though we have the same clients!

Comment

I consider this theraputic. Maybe I can get a prescription and deduct as a medical expense.

Comment

"Question"

Starting this discussion string with "Question".

How about something more descriptive!

Now, for your question:
                            1. I could do this return, but I don't have the time.
                            2. Stock? I didn't sell any stock? What 1099B? Basis? What's basis?
                            3. Can I come in Sunday?
                            4. 6:30 AM or 9:30 PM: This is your home phone and not your business phone? I woke you/wife/kids up?
                            5. My business didn't make any money. What, you don't know how to show that on the return?
                            6. I didn't make any money on that stock considering I held it for 30 years.
                            7. I sold my rental apartment building last January and I want to roll the gain into another one. I have two years, correct?
                            8. I sold my business equipment last January and I want to reinvest the money into some new equipment this year. What form does that go on?
                            9. What, you didn't open that evelope from that you received from the IRS 4 months ago?
                            (My question to my client)
                            10. I didn't think anything on that year-end letter that I didn't read pertained to me. Duh!
                            All that in one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Jiggers, EA

Comment

T/P: When can you have it done?

BB: We're swamped right now. It'll be three days minimum--maybe a week.

T/P: Whoo! That long? Well, okay I guess.

Three weeks later--return's still aging in the pickup box.

Comment

Working...
                              X