Independent Contractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independent Contractor

I have a new client who started to work as a Kirby Vaccum saleman. Are meals deductible for him if he is not taking clients to lunch? They do go out of town, but return the same day. No one stays overnight. He says his friends are deducting all their meals while out selling, their suits, white shirts, ties and even cigarettes they use to demonstrate the vaccums efficiency. I said no to the suits, but if he insists on deducting them, he might want to contact the person who is doing the friends' return.
    Anyone with any other thoughts?

From what you described the meals would not be deductible. Nor would the clothing. If he insists you would be correct in asking him to go elsewhere.

Comment

The Kirby folks sound just like the Amway and Mary Kay people.

Comment

Independent Contractor

If the cigarettes are used only for demo purposes and not smoked by the salesman then they are deductible as supplies. Clothing that can be personal use...worn in public, including underwear and does not have a company logo is not a uniform, therefore not deductible.
        I remember an airline stewardess that wanted to take her makeup because she purchased separate makeup for work and personal. Then there are the clients that want to take nylons because they only wear them to work....clients like this you don't need...there are plenty of taxpayers to go around. Let someone else take the risk...
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Stupid deductions

Had a client one year that wanted to deduct her feminine hygiene products because she was in sales and could not do her job 1 week a month if not for those. Idiot.
          I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

laz-y-boy recliner

One taxpayer deducted a laz-y-boy recliner ((Rev. Ruling 58-155). There are all sorts of special deals available. If the clients knew what was and what wasn't, they wouldn't need us. I respect clients that track their expenses, even if it turns out they can't use everything.

Comment

Sex therapy

...was allowed as a medical expense (Rev. Rul. 75-187)...that is, the psychiatrists fee for treating sexual inadequacy and incompatibility....The hotel for staying two weeks near the hospital providing treatment was not deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova
                Had a client one year that wanted to deduct her feminine hygiene products because she was in sales and could not do her job 1 week a month if not for those. Idiot.

way to much information

Comment

Working...
                X