jainen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jainen

They're talkin' 'boutcha on the "other board." Here's the quote: "I definitely like this board's posters better. Too many pompous, self-proclaimed expert blowhards on the other one!"

But don't feel bad--it's not like they were saying you need "sensitivity" training or anything. I looked it up--"pompous," I mean. It's somebody "characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious; puffed up with vanity"...or...somebody who's "prone to spout pseudo-scientific gobbledygook and pontifical hooey."

All in all, quite a compliment to your journalistic style. Say, did you ever see that movie "Absence of Malice" about the reporter (Sally Field) who was asked "Is it true?" about a story and replied "No, but it's accurate."

rockabilly days

That was about ME? Gee, I thought pompous meant you wear your hair like James Dean, and I regret to say my rockabilly days are long gone.

Comment

Oh well,

Originally posted by jainen
      That was about ME? Gee, I thought pompous meant you wear your hair like James Dean, and I regret to say my rockabilly days are long gone.
      Never mind. It coulda been me he was talkin' about. Dang, but it's hard to get a decent argument outta you these days. Goodbye and please remove my name from your "favorites" list.

Comment

name-calling

Of course I'm still up for a good argument, Black Bart, especially when I'm wrong. But I don't see much point if all he's got is name-calling.

Comment

No, no.

I didn't mean arguing with that dope--I meant arguing with me. I need some verbal exercise--I'm getting soft from layin' around and not fencing with anyone--a good foil is needed. By the way, was that "when I'm wrong" a typo?

Comment

care to engage?

Ah, yes, of course. Well, here's my story, why I'm off my rail today. There's another tax board (not "the" other tax board) that I enjoy. It has a nice social atmosphere, full of support-our-troops types. They even banned a pundit for pointing out that our troops might benefit from a little more support. Someone raised the question of soldiers who have to pay for their own body armor and so on. Naturally, I objected that this could not be deducted on Schedule A since it was not work-related, seeing as Army regs do not permit non-uniform stuff.

...Nary a nibble, except one polite, "Could you elaborate?" Perhaps at this point you could do yourself a favor and rescue my Sunday as well. Which side would you care to engage?

Comment

Oh well, again.

I don't want to spoil a good day for anybody. Sounds like you're doing alright with the political fencing with those guys. I'm a fairly predictable conservative "red-stater" anyway, although I don't agree with either party on some of the issues (what does that make one--an Independent?). I do think we were right to go in over there and that the media should support the troops instead of doing their best to demoralize them and us (surely there's some good news, but if it exists, I haven't read it in our paper). The natives seem ungrateful for our rescuing them from the murderous thug, but, on the other hand, maybe the press isn't giving us any existing positive feedback from over there--who knows? I wish I could buy a paper that printed all the facts without a "slant" and let me decide for myself. Economically, the prez is killing the little guys (including me). I think we should've gotten Canadian prices rather than the token (roughly a 15% cut) Medicare Plan/ obviously Pfizer and Exxon have "bought off" a majority of our reps/ they should've price-capped gas at one dollar during the crunch a few months ago/ why make the estate tax cuts permanent--how many people was it bothering?/ the ports deal was nuts/ a tall Gaza-type fence should be built down south/ I'm really disappointed with Bush now--more and more it seems like he's just in it for the money. Guess that about sums me up.
              Last edited by Black Bart; 03-12-2006, 04:33 PM.

Comment

How is the prez killing you? I have never had it so good with all the tax simplification, energy acts, technical corrections and so on. What we need is more regulation like licensing tax preparers.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart
                  They're talkin' 'boutcha on the "other board." Here's the quote: "I definitely like this board's posters better. Too many pompous, self-proclaimed expert blowhards on the other one!"
                  Well, at least we eventually get the answers correct over here....if you know what I mean....

Comment

what about Schedule A?

>>I don't want to blah blah blah that about sums me up.<<

That's sounds great, Black Bart. I'm with you all the way. But what about Schedule A?

Comment

Hmmm, Schedule A, Schedule A...

Nope, doesn't ring a bell. New piece of legislation?

Comment

into oblivion

Now who is avoiding an argument? Well then, I'll tell you a story. Actually, you already know this story because you read "the" other board, but for everyone else here's what this thread is about.

It all started last Thursday. Burton and I were chatting up our favorite topic, the Uniform Defamation of Children. We had stumbled across an unclaimed hillock in the swamp, but it was a slow slog for both of us. I wasn't doing that well but with increasingly strident oratory I was able to jawbone him down to where he was actually quoting--if you can believe it--Pub 17.

Just then a secret admirer reminded me of what we all learned at our mother's knee, "it's better to be kind than to be right." My heart melted, so I reposted the quote with an observation about how refreshing it was to see such a sentiment in our business.

That set Pedro off with his comment about my hair. Now, Pedro is one of my biggest fans. He never contributes anything about taxes but he has lots to say about me. Maybe it's something Freudian like his own mother didn't love him, but I think it's probably because he never had a chance to develop a rockabilly soul, back when Ozzie and Harriet shared a bedroom and the Poor Little Fool hadn't freebased himself into oblivion.

Comment

QF Story

Actually, I had not read that story (I just check there once in a while). Sorry to hear about Pedro's dislike of you/your hair. I'll take it back about the fence, if you think it will help.

Comment

A type of grass.

Originally posted by jainen
                            Gee, I thought pompous meant you wear your hair like James Dean, and I regret to say my rockabilly days are long gone.
                            It's used for decorating your yard. It has a wild appearance, very unique and will add much to your outdoor experience this summer. I'm sure you are not one.
                            JG

Comment

rightly so

I know about that windborne pest. It's the #2 reason why we hate Argentina, next to the ant. As an officially designated noxious weed, it happens to be illegal in Santa Cruz County, and rightly so.

Comment

Working...
                              X