Claiming of Great Grand daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming of Great Grand daughter

I have someone that just came in to file 09 tax year. They have a grand daughter that attends college and lives with my client the Grandma. The grand daughter has no income and she had a child . Both live with Grandma 12 months and are fully supported by grandma. Since the grand daughter is 25 I am not claiming her , but believe I am ok to claim the Great Grand Daughter since she is fully supported and lives full time 12 months and 100 percent of support is paid by Grand Ma.

Does anyone agree or have other thoughts.

Thanks,

Ron

Originally posted by photoman View Post
    I have someone that just came in to file 09 tax year. They have a grand daughter that attends college and lives with my client the Grandma. The grand daughter has no income and she had a child . Both live with Grandma 12 months and are fully supported by grandma. Since the grand daughter is 25 I am not claiming her , but believe I am ok to claim the Great Grand Daughter since she is fully supported and lives full time 12 months and 100 percent of support is paid by Grand Ma.

Thanks,

Ron
    In addition, claim the grand daughter as a QR.

Comment

Claim both?

Originally posted by photoman View Post

Thanks,

Ron
      Sounds to me as if Grandma should be able to claim both granddaughter and greatgranddaughter.

One might be tempted to ask why a 25 YOA person "has no income"??

Or is there perhaps some "government support" coming into play for either/both girls...or even for Grandma??

FE

Comment

Comments

I don't find it at all odd that a college student who has the option of being supported by her grandparents would choose not to have income.

Comment

Taxpayer can claim both. Had one client that did it every year. Daughter did not work, both lived in the household, and granma supported both (which also allowed GM to claim HOH at the time).

Comment

On the other hand...

Originally posted by erchess View Post
            I don't find it at all odd that a college student who has the option of being supported by her grandparents would choose not to have income.
            Well, I guess if I could "choose" not to work, I might feel the same way.

Having put two children through college, with both graduating prior to age 25, rest assured they knew they BETTER come up with some income of their own along the way to help with expenses.

(And yes, I can even remember my first high school "summer" job when my gross pay for a 40-hour week was.....drum roll, please.....$44.00 !!)

Not working was the exception to the rule for virtually everyone - with or without any doting grandparents.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
              Well,
              (And yes, I can even remember my first high school "summer" job when my gross pay for a 40-hour week was.....drum roll, please.....$44.00 !!)

Not working was the exception to the rule for virtually everyone - with or without any doting grandparents.

FE
              ---
              I had a part-time job in high school that paid 40¢ per hour. I did such a good job that they raised me to 45¢ per hour.after about a month.

Comment

Working...
              X