OCR software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCR software

I bought an Epson Artisan 710 scanner a few months ago. Everything I scan goes to Windows Photo gallery and is saved in my pictures, not documents.

I am not able to edit the scanned documents in this format. So I called Epson tonight and the guy told me that I need OCR software that will convert the scanned documents to a format that I can edit.

He suggested Abbyy Fine Reader or Presto. Do any of you know anything about either of these or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks

Linda

Software

What software are you using to scan with. What type of file are the scanned items saved in.

Comment

Opening in Acrobat

I get documents e-mailed by clients in JPG format. I can open them with Adobe Acrobat, then print or re-save them as PDF files.

Comment

I have Microsoft Word. I would just save them in my documents in the word format.

I have PDF creator downloaded on my computer, but that is not one of the options that is available when I am scanning to save it to.

Linda

Comment

Screenshot or local computer guru

Linda, first of all many thanks for being on this board. You have helped me more times than I can count. Now let me try to help you.

Do you know how to take a screen shot on a computer? It can still be done but I don't know how. If you don't either pm Dany or MAJ. (A screen shot is a digital file which when sent to another computer enables them to see exactly what was on your screen at the time you took the shot. Take the shot of the place where your scanner gives you options as to what to save into. My hypothesis is that someone can point you how to get options that you are not seeing.) Then display the Screen Shot here by uploading it. Site management can help you if you don't know how cos I sure don't but I am pretty sure it can be done. Then maybe someone can tell you what to do to get to your pdf creator.

If the above seems too hard or too unlikely to work you could seek help from a local computer guru. My ideal would be a Mom n Pop shop that repairs computers and also builds custom machines and can get software for them.

Good luck, and I know you will get this done by the time you need to.

Comment

Screen Shot

To get a screen shot and paste it to Word:
            [1] Press the "Print Screen" key.
            [2] Open Word
            [3] Right click and select "Paste"
            This will paste it into Word.

I did this with the TMI page and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
              I bought an Epson Artisan 710 scanner a few months ago. Everything I scan goes to Windows Photo gallery and is saved in my pictures, not documents.

I am not able to edit the scanned documents in this format. So I called Epson tonight and the guy told me that I need OCR software that will convert the scanned documents to a format that I can edit.

He suggested Abbyy Fine Reader or Presto. Do any of you know anything about either of these or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks

Linda
              You most likely just have to change the settings on your scanner. You should have received some software with it, look around for OCR or maybe just having the "output" selections changed to PDF.

P.S. Don't let them charge you for something simple like this. I'm a tech myself. If you'd like I can help you out. Look for a software called Teamviewer 5, it's a remote connection type of software that techs use to see/control your machine. Don't worry it's safe and you're seeing everything the other person is doing/looking at on your comp. Download it and send me a PM and I can connect to you and help you out. I'm usually at home on my comp by about 6pm Pacific Time.

~Maria
              Maria R., CRTP
              Los Angeles, CA
              Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

Originally posted by MariaR08 View Post
                You most likely just have to change the settings on your scanner. You should have received some software with it, look around for OCR or maybe just having the "output" selections changed to PDF.

P.S. Don't let them charge you for something simple like this. I'm a tech myself. If you'd like I can help you out. Look for a software called Teamviewer 5, it's a remote connection type of software that techs use to see/control your machine. Don't worry it's safe and you're seeing everything the other person is doing/looking at on your comp. Download it and send me a PM and I can connect to you and help you out. I'm usually at home on my comp by about 6pm Pacific Time.

~Maria
                I was going to post the same suggestion, to change the settings. But on checking out the scanner it is a multi-use printer/scanner/fax that has some sort of Epson software and does not appear to have very many options like changing the format. At that price point I doubt that it will accept third party scanning software. I use PaperPort from Nuance on a Xerox scanner and like it alot but that may not be an option.
                "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X