On line W-2's using Social Security Web site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On line W-2's using Social Security Web site

Have any of you prepared your W-2's using the Social Security Business Online Services?

If so, how do you like it?

Are you able to print the employee's copies using their web site?

I only do a handful of W-2's and I don't want to spend more for the program than I get paid.

I use it and like it a lot. Very easy. You can print the W2 forms from the site. Call them if you get tied up registering and they will walk you through.

Comment

SS Web W-2's

Can myself file W-2's for other employers or do I have to register each employer separately?

Thanks

Kurly

Comment

[QUOTE=Kurly;109398]Can myself file W-2's for other employers or do I have to register each employer separately?

You do not have to register other employers. Just make sure you use their ID #
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Thanks, sounds like it works great. When you print the W-2's for the employees, do you need the forms or do they print on blank paper?

Comment

They print on blank paper

I can do many things well, but lining up those dratted forms isn't one of them.

Comment

Printing W2s

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
              They print on blank paper

I can do many things well, but lining up those dratted forms isn't one of them.
              Final product is in PDF format.

They "look like" regular W2s and can be saved, viewed, transmitted, and printed on plain paper.

FE

Comment

Web Site for W-2 filing

Do you have a web site for the filing of the W-2's. I went to the Social Security web site but could not locate the tab to sign up. Thanks, Duane Anderson

Comment

Here it is.

Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                    Final product is in PDF format.

They "look like" regular W2s and can be saved, viewed, transmitted, and printed on plain paper.

FE
                    However, plain paper W-2s aren't legal. They are required to be printed on perforated stock.

Comment

W-2

How about all the W-2's that are down loaded they are are regular paper?

Comment

W-2 copies for employer and employee can be hand-written on tiolet paper.

Only the copy sent to SSA requires the official form, and if you file electronically, that requirement is bypassed. You are filing directly with the SSA. I don't know how it works if you are using a third-party e-filing service.
                        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Lotsa violations, I guess

Originally posted by Davc View Post
                          However, plain paper W-2s aren't legal. They are required to be printed on perforated stock.
                          Interesting - Many of the W2s and Forms 1099R I receive from clients are on "ordinary" paper. This is especially true for my more computer-literate clients who download/print their own documents. Should I report everyone to the IRS for proper punishment??

The few W2s that I prepare are all electronically transmitted to the IRS at the time of preparation anyway, meaning the IRS never receives any piece of paper (perforated or not) from me.

Also, since (virtually) all of my tax clients efile, for a similar reason the government never even sees those documents in the first place.

FE

Comment

No problem, no violations.

You can obviously even attach photocopies to a paper return. But if the employer sends an original paper W2 to the SSA, it must be on an approved form, or it will be rejected.
                            Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

several years ago

I did this several years ago. I did payroll for a business that did not get SS numbers for all the people that worked for her. Using the social security website was the only way I could do these without ss numbers.

It worked well. Don't know why I didn't keep doing it.

I should do that this year. Most of my clients only have 1 or 2 employees.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X