New York Registration Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Registration Revisited

I received an email today fro NYS, to register or renew my NYS registration for 2011

It failed once again - even though I could retrieve my information from 2010 registration. Then I noticed a "notation" IRS-designated "enrolled agents" are now only required to register with NYS if they facilitate refund anticipation loans or checks.

Since I don't process or offer RALS or checks - I am thinking I now do not have to re-register for 2011.

Anyone in NYS that can shed light on this? I prepare less than 10 returns and am an EA.

Sandy

NY Registration

NY changed its policy this past year.

EAs no longer have to register OR PAY so long as they don't offer those RALS or other banking type services.

If all you do is prepare and e-file returns - no need to register.

And talking about e-filing - the Opt-Out from e-filing is no longer available

And one more thing - anyone getting a refund from an overpayment now has to provide a bank routing and account number - no more paper checks."NYS saves postage and printing costs".

And next year - no more 800 number to contact the Tax Department. "NYS saves telephone costs".
    Last edited by Uncle Sam; 11-22-2010, 09:58 PM.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I agree with Uncle Sam

If an EA offers NO bank products, the EA does not have to register. If an EA does offer bank products of any kind the EA must register, but does not have to pay a fee.

Interestingly, the bank product you may or may not offer has nothing to do with the New York Return you might be preparing.

For those of you who have been getting the redundant message that your information cannot be retrieved, the state knows about it and will fix it sometime around the beginning of December.
      Doug

Comment

NYSEA News

Here's a link to the NYSEA site (NYSEA spent $50,000 to fight the registration of EAs in NY):

Comment

What if the client doesn't have a bank account to receive the refund?
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

I am glad to see this post because I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the NYS post. This is good confirmation for my eyes. All kidding aside, it is about time EA's have been moved up a rung (or 2) on this ladder of "tax practice" recognition. I have been an EA since 1983, and for the most part, I have been a nothing but a Certificate on the wall. I got more client recognition from other organization that use the word "Accounting" in it.

Good work NYSEA and for ALL EA across the US.

ADDED: Last year I(We) got our preparer # from NYS. Do we remove it from our tax program or just leave it?
            Last edited by BOB W; 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
            X