Need to purchase a new computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to purchase a new computer.

I need to purase a new laptop computer. What brands have you had good luck with? What brand would you recommend.

Toshiba Quosmio

with a core i5 processor that I bought in early April of this year because my old one died has been just great. I have personally had good luck with HP machines but I hear a lot of horror stories about them from repair shops I use. We have a Dell that seems to work well for me but not so well for my parents. I think their problems are lack of familiarity with windows and problems inherent in MSN and not with the Dell but I could be mistaken. I know more than they do about Windows but not a lot more.

I imagine that you will have no choice but Windows Seven but I fearlessly predict that you will love it. There is an XP Compatibility Mode available but most of my software works fine both the old versions and the new ones without a hitch. The one hitch I personally ran into was a website I use for personal purposes didn't want to let me on with any browser other than MSN Explorer. I eventually found out that the prob was that the website wanted me to install in my browser a plug in that does not work in a 64 bit environment. The workaround was to tell Internet Explorer to pretend it was running on a 32 bit machine.

Comment

I have heard alot about Toshiba. I bought one last February, and it kept turning it's self off and would be gone for a couple of days, sent it in for repair twice, once they replaced the hard drive, and it did it agian, then they replaced the mother board, it has worked for several months but is now doing it again. I am thinking I got a lemon, but leary about trying it again. Was hoping for some good reports. Their Tech support was good, but computer keeps going down.

I have had about 20 Dell's, but can not understand their tech support. They were good in the beginning, but tech went down hill as far as I am concerned.

Have had a couple of HP's, but seem to break easy (keyboards, connections).

I have a small Acer it has been good, but have heard some negative comments.

Any comments are appreciated.

Comment

Sony VAIO

I bought my Sony VAIO earlier this year in January, yes I know, right before tax season I LOVE IT!!!!

Now granted, I'm a bit of a comp tech/guru... but this thing is the best! I'm glad I never experienced Vista, went from WinXP Pro to Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Have yet to have ANY problem at all with this beauty... and it is a beauty. I got the model with an integrated 10-key keypad and it's wonderful!

~Maria
        Maria R., CRTP
        Los Angeles, CA
        Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

I am in the process of buying a computer myself. Since I am dependent on tech.support I knew my only options would be to buy a computer from Dell or one through Costco.

Dell: I always have purchased from them, first refurbished and then new. Altogether good experience with the hardware. Last computer had issues with the fan but they were fixed with a tech. guy coming to my office. It's true, tech support went downhill to a degree but lately I have had good experiences again. I think the really valuable thing is (if you purchase their 3 year pro support for under $100) that someone comes to your office to fix it. No downtime.

Costco: As far as computers are concerned I am sure you can get a real good computer/laptop there. I bought a netbook about a year ago. They have unlimited technical support for as long as you own the equipment for no additional charge. But if you have a hardware problem you need to send it in. This is the reason why I will buy from Dell again.

Comment

Acer

I will be seeing a computer business geek. He has been doing my friends business for years. He recommended Acer for her laptop and will do all our networking. It is vital that all of us realize that once we put our info on the computer, we are up the creek.

I WILL NOT send it back to Dell, or leave it at a Best Buy!!

Comment

Working...
            X