Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student

I believe I am correct. Full time Student turned 24 in 2009 and made $4600.00 working.Other than when in school student lives with parents. I believe nobody gets this exemption. Help me if I am wrong? Many thanks

Student

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
    I believe I am correct. Full time Student turned 24 in 2009 and made $4600.00 working.Other than when in school student lives with parents. I believe nobody gets this exemption. Help me if I am wrong? Many thanks
    Did his parents provide more than half of his support?

If he is absent only while in school, and lives with parents the rest of the time, the parents can claim him.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post

If he is absent only while in school, and lives with parents the rest of the time, the parents can claim him.

I disagree. He is no longer a "qualifying chid" (24) therefor for a "qualifying relative" you must earn less than the exemption amount $3XXX.

Somebody DOES get the exemption... he does when he files his return.. if he files a return.

Chris

Comment

I agree with Chris. Also, if they provide most of the support, parents can claim medical expenses if total expenses exceed the 7½% floor.
        Doug

Comment

Whoops, read the wrong $ amount

You are correct, I used $5,700, standard deduction amount, and not the personal exemption amount of $3,650.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post

An outside possibility is that the student might conceivably be a qualifying child if he were totally and permanently disabled and lived with his parents for more than half of the year including temporary absences at school and did not provide more than half of his own support.
            Last edited by OtisMozzetti; 11-03-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OtisMozzetti View Post
              An outside possibility is that the student might conceivably be a qualifying child if he were totally and permanently disabled and lived with his parents for more than half of the year including temporary absences at school and did not provide more than half of his own support.

True, but then would a permanently/totally disabled person, generally, be able to work?

Chris

Comment

Certainly. They tend to be "farmers" or "ranchers".

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                  True, but then would a permanently/totally disabled person, generally, be able to work?

Chris
                  Not sure how to respond to this question, but the answer should obviously be "yes."

Even when using the Social Security definition of permanently and totally disabled, SSA identifies a "Substantial Gainful Activity" earnings level because the expectation is that some disabled people will be able to achieve sufficient earnings as to potentially no longer be considered "disabled" if earning more than that. This amount is $1000 per month for most permanently and totally disabled individuals and $1640 per month for those individuals who are legally blind.

There are many disabled individuals who earn substantially below those amounts but still are able to actively work. Others actually can earn significantly more than that and will lose their disability payments. However, one might argue that a blind person who earns $2000 per month might still be totally and permanently disabled even though earning more than the "Substantial Gainful Activity" limit.
                  Doug

Comment

Any refundable credit available for the student? (in 1st four years?)

And what about making work pay credit?
                    Last edited by JG EA; 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM.
                    JG

Comment

Working...
                    X