PTIN updat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTIN updat

Took about 10 minutes. Including a brain fart regarding my SSN (wierd what your brain will forget at odd moments!)/

Got my old PTIN.

I'd say the system is running pretty well right now.

I signed up for mine a couple of weeks ago. Today I got a letter from the IRS informing me of the necessity of signing up for the PTIN #.
    Our tax dollars at work.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Does Date of Filing Matter?

Can someone enlighten me on the date issue? Does it matter what month we sign up for the PTIN renewal as long as it is before December 31st? I have not sent in my renewal yet

Comment

Before 1st return in 2011

You just have to have your PTIN before you file your first return in 2011. And, the sooner you register, the sooner you will renew next year and pay the $64.25. Also, CEUs from this fall will not count even if you already have your PTIN; CEUs will be on the calendar year.

Comment

I finally got my PTIN but they gave me a new one. I guess they still don't have their act together.
          I called the hotline & asked them to give me old one which I have had for 10 years. They said continue to use the new one one until they figure out how to give me back the old one. (Yeah right, like that is ever going to happen.)
          What if I just continue to use my old number? After all, it is registered to me.

Comment

Using old PTIN

I believe you can use the old one up to December 31 but after that you must use the new one and must have paid the $ 64 fee.
            Is that fee a form of taxation without representation? If so, that is no worse than representation without taxation like some who vote but don't pay taxes.
            Last edited by taxxcpa; 10-24-2010, 06:38 AM.

Comment

From what I understand, the CPE requirements may run from the date you got your PTIN, unless you are an EA, CPA or attorney.

And I have to renew by 10/23/11 next year. Another reason I'm glad I held off until after 10/15; I certainly don't need another thing I have to keep track of during that last week of filing!

Comment

What to expect next?

I have registered online and paid the fee. But then I have not heard anything from the IRS since then. What is going to happen next? Am I supposed to receive a notification by mail about whether I can keep my old PTIN or not? Am I supposed to receive an email notifying me that the process has been completed? How to find out the status of my registration anyway?

Comment

I received immediate notice of registering

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
                  I have registered online and paid the fee. But then I have not heard anything from the IRS since then. What is going to happen next? Am I supposed to receive a notification by mail about whether I can keep my old PTIN or not? Am I supposed to receive an email notifying me that the process has been completed? How to find out the status of my registration anyway?
                  I received an immediate confirmation notice of registering and it gave me my PTIN, which was the original 4-digit number that I received in 1999.

This also said that I would receive an e-mail welcoming letter, containing my PTIN and guidance within 24 hours. I have been waiting since 10/6/10!
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

I am not going to do it until the last week of December.

I hope all of you beta testers help IRS to get their system fixed by the time I am ready to renew mine.

Comment

I was notified immediately too that I had my old number. Also got the email reciept & confirm almost immediately.

Bees, I think its running ok right now, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post

I also didn't get a PTIN. I called the hotline and she said I should have gotten it right away if I had finished and paid the fee which I had. We signed in and went through the application screen by screen - still filled in with my responses.

When I hit submit it said I had already submitted the app, but there was a network problem. I was told to give it another day and if it's still hung up I should call them back and they would send a technical request in.

Comment

When did you register? I did it on 10/24. If you registered before the 16th or so, I believe that's when there were all the troubles.

Comment

I'm with Bees. End of Dec sounds good to me too. I'm good til then so why pay them any sooneer than I have to. Extends the time I need to re-register and pay next year too. Date will also be easier for me to remember in future as to when this needs done.

Comment

December

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                              I am not going to do it until the last week of December.

I hope all of you beta testers help IRS to get their system fixed by the time I am ready to renew mine.
                              It might be better to do it the 1st of December. Your renewal would still be Dec 31, and if there were any glitches you would have the rest of December to take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X