Form 1040 for less then $200 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 1040 for less then $200 anymore?

With the rising cost of being a tax preparer, does anyone do Form 140 w/Sch A & St return for less then $200 anymore?

Not me

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    With the rising cost of being a tax preparer, does anyone do Form 140 w/Sch A & St return for less then $200 anymore?
    Not me, and I don't do state tax returns.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

That's a great question.

I had been at $195 for 1040 and Sch. A since 1/1/09, but will most likely move that up to the $210-225 range for 2010 returns.

Comment

I am less

My standard fee for an individual return with no C,E,F including state, efiling, and payment deducted from refund is $100. If that A is anything but dead simple, I would add $40.
        Christopher Mewhort, EA
        mewhorttax.com

Comment

Fee

I often do them for less than $200. Some of them only take a few minutes to enter a W-2, mortgage interest and real estate tax. I could knock out five, six or more such returns in an hour or less and make as much for my time as a doctor does.

I do very few state returns other than corporate franchise taxes since we have no state income tax in Texas and I have only a few out-of-state clients.

Comment

I do. $175 range. w/wage, a little interest and/or div, a few charitable. goes up from there.

Comment

I've been doing them also under $200. Range is from $125 to $150. Sometimes that also includes other forms.

I know my fees are low and I have posted about it in the past. So I won't go into that again. But next month I am meeting with a SBA advisor that is close by to me that will hopefully help to figure out pricing and also address my marketing. This is a free service they are offering to local small business owners and I am going to take them up on it.

Comment

I usually quote $220 - $260 for basic return with itemized deductions, 2 or 3 W-2 forms, including a state return. This assumes everything is fairly well in order and no research or backtracking needed. If there's a schedule B required due to some interest or dividends over the limit, I will stay in that range. Other forms (2441, D, E, multi-state, etc) start the additional-fee meter running fairly quickly.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

SBA advice

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                  I've been doing them also under $200. Range is from $125 to $150. Sometimes that also includes other forms.

I know my fees are low and I have posted about it in the past. So I won't go into that again. But next month I am meeting with a SBA advisor that is close by to me that will hopefully help to figure out pricing and also address my marketing. This is a free service they are offering to local small business owners and I am going to take them up on it.
                  Keep us posted on the kind of advice they give you.

Comment

Yes, Please keep up with us

on what you find out on this subject.
                    I know the rates vary a lot around the country and we are in a very depressed area.
                    In this office we do around 1200 1040 returns besides the businesses we do. This is a CPA office with 3 CPAs and 1 EA.
                    I have encouraged the idea of raising fees more, with no luck.
                    We quote a 1040 with A and B at 100 to 125.
                    With a D might go to 150.
                    Small C or E will get 150.
                    almost never do we go over 200 unless it is a very large and complicated D with lots of basis research or a small business with a large Sch C. Or many rentals might get to 200 to 225.
                    I had one client just rip me apart this past season because we are going to price ourselves right out of business charging so much. She was charged $100 for a 1040 with A and E(one rental). We kinda hope she does go to someone else. She can always go to the big Store and pay twice as much.
                    AJ, EA

Comment

1040 Fees

I have 2 offices my fees with an A are $125 if they have a C $150.00.Have several clients with multiple rentals who I charge much more.Want to stay cheaper than the majors.

Comment

$125 to $150

A return with 1040 and Schedule A and 1 state does not take long to prepare. However I don't do many like this becasue usually Scheudules B, D or Forms 2441 are needed.

Comment

Over $200

Way over $200. I'm in Fairfield County, CT. And, I'm not trying to compete on price. I also try to have my fees high enough to cover questions throughout the year for free (want clients to call me before they do something). I think I have one continuing, long-time client, sweet little old retired man, who I charge $140 and a renter with one W-2 that ends up being $170 with her investments. Rest are more complex individual returns and small businesses. Not many returns but average around $550. Not taking new clients for less than $500. Had to fold in last year's $100 to NY and the new annual $64.25 and ever increasing education to take good care of my clients and good software to handle complex returns and....

Comment

I LIKE the way Lion thinks...
                            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                            X