Oct 15 crisis - Some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oct 15 crisis - Some help please

Client has very complicated return that has been prepared and rejected today via efiling due to a "bad" EIN on a W2.

I called the employer, who said the number is correct, and they have previously been aware of the problem with the IRS data base. "But you can file a paper return without any problems."

Client lives several hours away, and there is no way printed return/documents/etc can reach there by extended filing deadline of midnight.

I basically have two (poor) choices:

1) Remove the offending W2 (the income is modest/from 2nd job), refile electronically, and then amend later with the problem W2 included.

2) File a paper return, sometime next week??, and likely subject client to late filing issues. (Both US/state are refunds.)

The other issue is the filed return is quite complicated, and if at all possible I would prefer efiling so some IRS person does not have to re-enter the data. But to reiterate, the payroll person has stated the EIN is correct and the IRS will not accept any efiled tax returns with that number.

SUGGESTIONS ???

And I thought the tax season was over for me..........

FE

my opinion

I think if it were me, I would take out the w-2 that is causing the problem and efile the return.

We have been told to wait about 3 or 4 weeks to amend an electronically file return. So I would do an amended return, send it to the client and tell him to sign it and mail it in.

Just my opinion.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      I basically have two (poor) choices:

2) File a paper return, sometime next week??, and likely subject client to late filing issues. (Both US/state are refunds.)

But to reiterate, the payroll person has stated the EIN is correct and the IRS will not accept any efiled tax returns with that number.

SUGGESTIONS ???FE
      In regard to your point #2, if both fed & state are refunds, there are no "late filing issues," or penalties. Looks like you will have to mail the client a paper return to submit under the circumstances since the EIN won't efile.

Comment

Can you look up the W2 on e-services to see what EIN the IRS has on file? You could perhaps get a POA via fax or scan from the client.

Comment

email

Can you email the return to your client to sign and file, upload it on your portal for him to download, or...?

I would probably take out the W-2, efile, and prepare an amendment to mail to him. However, the better answer is to mail him the paper return to file. Ask your client to decide.

Did he have that employer last year? Did you call the eDesk?

Comment

4:20 pm update

I have been unable to reach client....it is a fall, Friday afternoon.

Due to complexity of return, I would prefer to efile (obviously without W2).

The problem W2 is "new" for 2009.

The W2 is from a small educational facility. Per HR person there, apparently the problem is IRS has truncated names for it/another "foundation" which has a similar name.

I can private msg anyone with established e-services access who is willing to verify the EIN/name/data base....

Do you think eDesk (telephone number?) could resolve this?

FE

Comment

866-255-0654

Try the e-Help Desk at 566-255-0654.

I vaguely remember something about not being able to efile a return with a W-2 with a new EIN issued some number of days/months ago and not yet in the great computer system in the sky. But, e-Help should know the answer.

Comment

Yes

I think the e services helpdesk could possibly straighten this out. By the way is the entity in question in its first year of existence or its first with that ein? In that case their W2s won't efile.

Comment

Not that this will be much help but sounds like a mismatch between the EIN & control name. You would need a POA from the employer to get the control name from IRS. Control name is usually the first 4 letters of the employer name excluding the word "the".

Comment

You are not listening to the obvious

Refund returns are not due until three years from now. You have 3 years to file the return by paper.

Forget about filing without the W-2. That is willfully filing a false return. Do the right thing and file a correct return. Who cares if the client can't sign it and file it until next week. There is no penalty.
                    Last edited by Bees Knees; 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Final answer - more or less

Just talked with efile help.

The EIN has been replaced with a different one than the one shown on the 2009 W2. No further specifics (time/name/etc) could be provided to me.

I cannot efile even IF I had the "correct" PTIN (which could not be provided) as a corrected W2 from the employer would first be necessary to do so.

I do find it interesting the employer this date said that the EIN "was correct" but the help desk guy stated in no uncertain terms the number I have is not correct. (Should make for an interesting conversation when I place a telephone call to the employer next week?)

Looks like the least of the several available evils is to efile without the W2 (mainly due to complexity of existing return) and follow up later with an amended return. The IRS guy said that is my only option today, unless I want to file everything via paper.

Thanks for the help. It's been a most interesting learning experience!

FE

Comment

How about putting the W-2 information on line 21, with the notation that employer has an EIN mixup. Get the income on the return; no amendment is needed.

Maribeth

Comment

Right thing?

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                          Refund returns are not due until three years from now. You have 3 years to file the return by paper.

Forget about filing without the W-2. That is willfully filing a false return. Do the right thing and file a correct return. Who cares if the client can't sign it and file it until next week. There is no penalty.
                          FWIW - the IRS eHelp Desk guy said I certainly can choose to efile today without the problem W2. (I would prefer efile to paper due to overall complexity/bulk of client return.)

There also is the matter of a substantial refund that can hopefully be received much earlier (federal/state) when the return is efiled.

I don't really see this as being any different from situations where a client has chosen to efile and NOT claim an allowable dependent (someone else had erroneously - and over several years - already done so) and then later filing an amended return to claim said allowable dependent.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                            FWIW - the IRS eHelp Desk guy said I certainly can choose to efile today without the problem W2. (I would prefer efile to paper due to overall complexity/bulk of client return.)

There also is the matter of a substantial refund that can hopefully be received much earlier (federal/state) when the return is efiled.

I don't really see this as being any different from situations where a client has chosen to efile and NOT claim an allowable dependent (someone else had erroneously - and over several years - already done so) and then later filing an amended return to claim said allowable dependent.

FE
                            The IRS guy on the help desk should be fired.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Why the hangup about getting it efiled? Just staple the 8879 to a paper copy and mail it in. Not including income on the return that you know about is going to get you in trouble with OPR, especially if you are an EA.
                              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X