IRS Letter to EA's about privacy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Letter to EA's about privacy.

I just received a letter from IRS saying that they now must disclose enrolled agents' names, address, work phone numbers and e-mail addresses when reequested under the Freedom of Infoormation Act.

Did anyone else get this letter, what do you think about it?

Privacy Letter

I got the letter today as well as my wife (who became an EA earlier this year.

At least they're up front with us to tell us we can't request "Do Not Call" for solicitors.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I don't know...

I don't know that it affects the Do Not Call list. Just because they can get your number doesn't mean that they can use it with impunity.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Authentication

I see this as an advantage. We've heard for some time that they will move toward making our information available through their web site. Up to now you could contact OPR and they would confirm your status, but that is too cumbersome for most prospective clients.

Now people can verify our credentials easily. I think it is a win. Just make sure your official address/phone is your office and not your home.
        Richard Ogg, EA
        The Master's Tax & Financial Services
        www.TMTFS.com

Comment

Not happy

My husband and I use our office as our contact number.

When I did fill out the forms upon becoming and EA, I used our home number.

I did receive a phone call already, on my home number from a service and they mentioned that I was an EA. I use our office number for everything!!!

So my future will be emails, snail mails and calls galore times TWO.

MrsUncleSam, EA
          Last edited by MrsUncleSam; 10-10-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Update your information

Update your information in writing now. And, there are some items that you do NOT have to provide.

Comment

got letter too

I got the letter too and was confused/worried about what this meant.

Since my office is in my home, they have my home address. I had asked in my thread if it would be in my best interests to get a PO box and give OPR that PO box number.

My office and home phone number have always been the same. If it looks like a solicitation call, I let it go to the answering machine. If they really want to talk to me they will leave a message.

Maybe that is why I have seen an increase in those calls lately.

Well, we have our Tax practice management shareshop in a couple of weeks. I think I will bring us this letter for discussion.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                I got the letter too and was confused/worried about what this meant...Since my office is in my home, they have my home address. I had asked in my thread if it would be in my best interests to get a PO box and give OPR that PO box number.
                I think the letter is telling us that one of our options to put down can be a POB. At least, that's how I read it and what I'm going to do.

Comment

At least now I understand why I've been getting so many telemarketing calls. But, as far as my home address goes (it is on my application in case I ever move my office) I'm in the phone book anyway so it is not a big deal. What is a big deal would be to use a home number.

So, I'm glad I have caller ID for the office.
                  JG

Comment

You all missed the important part of this letter. The IRS is sayng that they will release the information through the Freedom of Info Act. Doesn't anyone realize that a written form must be submitted to the IRS before the information is released?

I am also aware that they do have a site page where one can get EA info in their area without the FOIA. This has been available for years.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      You all missed the important part of this letter. The IRS is sayng that they will release the information through the Freedom of Info Act. Doesn't anyone realize that a written form must be submitted to the IRS before the information is released?

I am also aware that they do have a site page where one can get EA info in their area without the FOIA. This has been available for years.
                      Where is the IRS site to which you are referring? I have searched for something like that and cannot find it.

Comment

I came across it a few years ago when because a client told me that she found me listed on the IRS site,,.,..maybe they have since removed it.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

E-File Providers?

Could the person who found you on the IRS website have found you on the e-file providers list?

I have copied this from the IRS website. You type in the zip code and it shows you a listing of the e-file providers in your area.

Authorized IRS e-file Providers for Individuals

Locate the closest Authorized IRS e-file Providers in your area where you can electronically file your tax return. Simply enter the first 3, 4, or all 5 numbers of your Zip Code in the box below and click the Submit button!

Authorized IRS e-file Provider Locator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e-file Provider Questions and Answers

What is an "Authorized IRS e-file Provider"?
                          How does IRS e-file work?
                          How will I know that the IRS really has my return?
                          If the return is electronic, how do I sign it?
                          How accurate is IRS e-file?
                          What if I owe money?
                          Can I e-file my state return with my Federal return at the same time?
                          Is there a fee for IRS e-file?
                          Who offers IRS e-file services?
                          What e-file options are available for Businesses and Self-Employed Individuals?

Comment

Working...
                          X