efile and Oct 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

efile and Oct 15

Do we have so many days to correct efile rejects on the extension date like we do on April 15th? I just read efile will be down 10-12th. I will be efiling on the 11th,and I'm leaving town and won't be able to check my efiles until late the 15th. If they reject, can I resubmit without penalties,etc?

Where did you see that efile will be down the 10-12th? I haven't seen any notice on the various IRS emails, etc.

If you have a rejection on the 15th, I think the grace period is 5 days to get it refiled electronically before the system shuts down for the year.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I THINK it is the PTIN registration that will be down those dates.

Comment

On the ATX site it said they would be holding efiles those days.
        On the reject side, if it only rejects on the 15th do I have 5 days? What if it rejects on the 12th and I don't check until the 16th. Am I too late?

Comment

EFile

Efile is suspended during those dates, my software posted an alert. I can submit to my Software, and they will hold until the 10/12/10 drain time.
          The IRS Electronic Management Systems (EMS) will be unavailable Sunday, October 10th at 9 pm EST, through Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 at 5 am EST. This EMS shutdown is due to a scheduled power outage over the Columbus Day holiday.

Our E-File Center will be operational and we will continue to receive returns during the IRS scheduled outage. Returns received by the E-File Center will not be transmitted to the IRS until the morning drain Tuesday, October 12th
          Sandy

Comment

Still, my question is, Returns filed on the 12th, and rejected, do I still get the 5 days after the 15th to resubmit? Or is it only returns efiled on the 15th?

Comment

Jen

I'm not sure but I think a return rejected on the 12th would have to be refiled by the 17th to be considered timely. Unless someone else has another opinion you might want to either change your schedule or paper file some returns you would otherwise efile or have some clients sign memoranda of understanding to protect you.

Comment

Drake Software

has not gotten word of anything like this. The guy I talked to did put me on hold and check with someone else.

Comment

Does this help? Fresh from the IRS

Attention Return Transmitters, Reporting Agents and Authorized IRS e-file Providers/EROs:

Modernized e-file, Legacy e-file and e-Services will not be available from 1 a.m. EDT Oct. 10 through 5 a.m. EDT on Oct. 12.

The PTIN sign-up system will be unavailable beginning approximately 8:00 a.m. EDT on Saturday, Oct. 9, until approximately 8:00 a.m. EDT Tuesday, Oct. 12.

The system will be down while IRS.gov services undergo scheduled maintenance and upgrades in preparation for the 2011 filing season.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                    Modernized e-file, Legacy e-file and e-Services will not be available from 1 a.m. EDT Oct. 10 through 5 a.m. EDT on Oct. 12.

The PTIN sign-up system will be unavailable beginning approximately 8:00 a.m. EDT on Saturday, Oct. 9, until approximately 8:00 a.m. EDT Tuesday, Oct. 12.
                    More excellent planning by the cretins in theIRS, taking down the efile service 5 days before the filing deadline for returns on extension!

Nobody should think the recent rollout of the PTIN registration process should reflect on the potential for the new "Legacy e-file" process being anything but outstanding!

Do they have a clue???
                    Last edited by taxmandan; 10-08-2010, 05:50 PM.
                    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Guess

That IRS figures because they have Columbus Day as a Holiday, the rest of us "preparing tax returns" and filing returns on extension - are also NOT working

Wishful Thinking! Not true for me!

Sandy

Comment

E-files and rejects

If I were worried about not being able to re-submit a reject, I would paper-file the return. After all, any client who hasn't yet filed is not in a big rush now that Oct 15 is approaching.

Comment

Working...
                        X