Snaggletooth - Drake program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snaggletooth - Drake program

You mentioned in another thread that you changed from TaxslayerPro to Drake a couple of years ago. I have used TaxslayerPro since 2001 program. I am looking at Drake during the off time to see how I like it and how it compares to Taxslayer. I liked the idea of getting CWU with the tax program. I could get rid of QB maybe.

What differences did you find? What drew you to Drake?

Thanks for the info.

Linda

Linda

Linda, I am Snag at a different computer, requires a different user name.

I wouldn't change unless I had a good reason. I do three corporations with operations in several states and required broader state and corporate programming than what TaxSlayer offers. TaxSlayer has good personal software for 1040 and for anything in Georgia or South Carolina and other neighboring states. TaxSlayer had excellent customer service, and Drake does too. Where their software became very weak was supporting the forms required by places like Wyoming, Wisconsin, Arkansas, etc. especially the corporate packages.

Another thing was TaxSlayer was trying to drag me into cyberspace to the extent that they charged extra for mailing a CD instead of downloading, then they charged extra if you didn't order online. They would not send me an invoice, which they should know any business must have to survive an audit. When I asked for one, they told me to go online and they had one where I could "fill in the blanks" and then download it and print it off. Then I tried to pay them with a personal check and they removed the "remit to" address, and I had to search for their office using yellow pages. The check was returned to me undeliverable, and one of their reps called me to ask why I hadn't paid my renewal. When I told him, his response was they were trying to do away with paperwork and clerical support and convert entirely to a cyberspace operation.

The last straw was when they tried to charge $50 extra for failing to register and pay online. I don't attach my bank account number ANYWHERE in my computer, and when companies encourage me to do so, I tell them I will agree if they will absorb 50% of any liability to them resulting from identity theft. That always ends the discussion.

Someone once taught me a quotation: "Be not the first on whom the new is tried, nor the last to lay the old aside." TaxSlayer tried to rush me into laying the old aside.

Having going into other personal details which may not be a factor, I will still confirm that TaxSlayer is still good software for its price, and if you don't have far-flung corporate clients you will probably do well to save the $200-$300 extra charged by Drake. Drake, however, is good software, also with excellent customer service and has resisted price increases over the last several years.

Comment

Drake Software From A Third Party

I have an associate that purchased Drake from a vendor and not it at a good price. He said that the support service was the same as purchase direct from Drake and no questions asked.If you want to send me an E mail: click on my home page and I will give you the details.Have A Good Day Bob

Comment

I have found a few times that Taxslayer won't do what I need to do. This week I had a 1040 return with schedule C business. Husband and wife both do the cleaning. They want the income split between them for social security purposes. In Taxslayer I had to create 2 schedule C's. But just to compare I did the return in Drake and that option was available. Did the business belong to taxpayer, spouse or split between the 2.

I have a new partnership which is a consulting business. They can stay in Florida and Georgia but do business over the internet with companies all over the US, even out of the country. So I will need to be able to handle these different situations in the future.

So I was curious when I saw your statement in another post.

Thanks

Linda

Comment

Working...
        X