Amending return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending return

Amending 2005 return for TP that was filed without including 1099 income. I am going to attach Sch D to the 1040X, and also think I should attach Sch B, even though it's not over the required amount, just to show the detail breakdown and help the IRS match up the income. Also, if I do that, shouldn't I attach those schedules to the state amended return?Feedback?

upon

further review, it appears that I do need to attach a copy of 1040X and schedules to the 540X. Wish the TP had just come to me in the first place.

Comment

amended

Its always a good idea to send in as much in formation as you can so the IRS knows what you are doing. Dont forget on the back page of the amended return, there is the section for explaining the changes.
      ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
        Its always a good idea to send in as much in formation as you can so the IRS knows what you are doing. Dont forget on the back page of the amended return, there is the section for explaining the changes.
        That's correct. Send them all pertinent info as regards income and expenses but do not over kill. If the return does not require a Sch B do not send it. Provide the explanation on page 2 of the 1040X.
        As far as the State return is concerned; attach all copies of federal forms.that are affected.
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Insturctions

are very exact. You send the original 1040 information marked "as previously filed" if your changing it and a new 1040 with all forms that have changed marked "as amended" and attach it to the 1040X. If you want to help IRS also on the "as amended" and "as previously filed" you write on them"DO NOT PROCESS".

Comment

Where?

Originally posted by JON
            Instructions are very exact. You send the original 1040 information marked "as previously filed" if your changing it and a new 1040 with all forms that have changed marked "as amended" and attach it to the 1040X. If you want to help IRS also on the "as amended" and "as previously filed" you write on them"DO NOT PROCESS".
            Where do you see those instructions for amending the federal 1040? Bottom of pg 2, right column of 1040X instructions, and continuing to pg 3:
            "Explain each change in Part II. If you need more space, attach a statement. Also, attach any schedule or form relating to the change. For example, attach Schedule A (Form 1040) if you are amending Form 1040 to itemize deductions. Do not attach items unless required to do so."

There have been times that I've attached the "as amended 1040" -- basically when there are multiple changes, but in most cases, no new 1040 goes with. When I do send a 1040 though, I do write "Attachment to 1040X - Do Not Process" on it.

Bill

Comment

From what

I've read, I'm going to file the 1040X and attach any needed schedule that will help support the amended return. California requires a copy of the 1040X, including the schedules. It's amazing how sometimes you think something will be simple, yet you end up looking in three or four different places to try and find an answer. Thanks for all your feedback.

Comment

Working...
              X