80% of S-Corp profit on K-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80% of S-Corp profit on K-1

What kind of red flag of any does this raise for a single shareholder and only employee to receive 80-90% of the S-Corp profit on a K-1 and the rest of it in the form of a W-2?

80% S Corp Profit on K-1

A shiny red flag that sticks out like a sore thumb
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Think of something about 10 ft x 20 ft, bright red, with flashing neon borders.
      (and toss in some glitter, just to make it interesting)

Here's someone with an opinion on the matter:

Searching for a Tax Advisor in Vancouver, WA? Get in touch with Firm of John F Howes CPA. I'm proud to provide a variety of tax preparation services.

Now if you think you can make a case that the salary paid in actual dollars is a reasonable salary and that the remaining profit is a result of shrewd business management or other such factors, then you might have a chance.
      Last edited by JohnH; 09-10-2010, 05:10 PM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Not much

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        What kind of red flag of any does this raise for a single shareholder and only employee to receive 80-90% of the S-Corp profit on a K-1 and the rest of it in the form of a W-2?
        Unless you mean the K-1 shows distributions of 80-90%.

Another factor to consider. A few years ago the IRS had a project to examine returns with low or no wages from an S-Corp. To the best of my knowledege they a e not doing that now.

Comment

Veritas - the OP was quite clear. It did not say distribution - it said profit.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

It would be "ordinary Income"....

Upon asking my client about this my client referred to it as "a draw" taken. Well it looks to me this oridinary business income will end up on line 1 part 3 of the K-1 and flow to line 17 of form 1040.

With 5 days to file, what do you suggest?

Comment

Comment

The Tax Book Deluxe Edition Chapter 19

Comment

Comment

An old subject

This is an old subject. He is supposed to take a reasonable salary. What is reasonable is open to interpretation, but obviously at least a minimum wage. If he hasn't done so, I and others have used the stratagem of showing officer compensation, issuing a 1099-misc, and reporting on the 1040 as self-employment income. It is a flawed approach, but it may be better than nothing.
                    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by appelman View Post
                      If he hasn't done so [taken reasonable salary], I and others have used the stratagem of showing officer compensation, issuing a 1099-misc, and reporting on the 1040 as self-employment income. It is a flawed approach, but it may be better than nothing.

Do you report the 1099-misc as 'outside service/contractor' or as 'officer's compensation' on the 1120 S?

I'm in this situation now and i would hesitate to show any salary expense on the front page of the 1120 s that didn't match the w3.

I'd be more tempted to show it as line 19, contractor expense. Officer's comp would still be zero but at least the company wouldn't be showing any profit.

anyone else have thoughts on this?

thanks

[EDIT: special thanks to appleman. this is not one of those things that i can easily look up in my book]
                      Last edited by tacks; 09-12-2010, 10:04 PM. Reason: to add

Comment

Officer comp, since that was the whole point of the exercise.

Officer comp, since that was the whole point of the exercise. It was considerably less than the profit, but more than the amount actually distributed. It is obviously a less than desirable way of doing things, but, again, hopefully better than nothing. I think the state would be most likely to complain.
                        Last edited by appelman; 09-12-2010, 11:20 PM. Reason: addition of further explanation
                        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

thanks appelman

Comment

Working...
                          X