Bus Vehicle disposed via Repossessed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bus Vehicle disposed via Repossessed

No cancellation of debt regarding repossessed bus vehicle yet the bookkeeper entered an amt in the P&L as: "Gain on Disposal of Truck" under acct "Other Income/Expenses - Income". With no cancellation of debt, is this considered income?

The S-Corp has no plans to pay off the vehicles loan balance therefore the vehicle will not be returned so do I report the bus vehicle as being disposed with a $0 asset sale price?

I dont consider myself a bookkeeper but woudnt the outstanding vehicle loan fall under: Long term liability?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    No cancellation of debt regarding repossessed bus vehicle yet the bookkeeper entered an amt in the P&L as: "Gain on Disposal of Truck" under acct "Other Income/Expenses - Income". With no cancellation of debt, is this considered income?

The S-Corp has no plans to pay off the vehicles loan balance therefore the vehicle will not be returned so do I report the bus vehicle as being disposed with a $0 asset sale price?

I dont consider myself a bookkeeper but woudnt the outstanding vehicle loan fall under: Long term liability?

What is the economic substance of the transaction? Did the lender take the auto back? If so, the debt remaining on the books is the selling price and you calculate gain/loss accordingly.

You must look at what happened and make the entries accordingly.

Maribeth

Comment

Lender took vehicle back...

Originally posted by Maribeth View Post
      What is the economic substance of the transaction? Did the lender take the auto back? If so, the debt remaining on the books is the selling price and you calculate gain/loss accordingly.

You must look at what happened and make the entries accordingly.

Maribeth
      So as I understand this, it works like if the lender issued the S-Corp a 1099-C and the amt in box 2 would be the asset sale price. Though the lender did not issued a 1099-C to the S-Corp in 2009, what if the Lender issues one in 2010? Does that fall under misc income on form 1120s?

Comment

So is the following correct..

when reporting the repoed truck?

The "Gain on the disposal of truck" is the cost of the truck less accumulated depreciation less the loan. The loan remains a liability less any payments that may have been made after repo date.

Comment

Let's use some numbers for an example. Cost of truck 10,000. Depreciation taken 4000. Loan balance 7000.

The repo of the truck is accounted for as a sale. Selling price 7000 less cost 10,000 plus depreciation 4000 equals gain on sale of 1000.

Entries on the books:
          Credit vehicles 10000
          Debit depreciation 4000
          Debit loan balance 7000
          Credit gain on sale 7000

At the end of the above, the truck is off the books, the loan is off the books, and the company has recorded a gain on the disposition.

Maribeth

Comment

Calculations by bookkeeper

How I determined loan balance

Cost of asset 38627
            Less prior & current depreciation -23794
            Less the loan balance(not supplied) -9584
            Gain reported on P&L 5249

Maribeth calculations
            Loan Balance 9584
            Less cost of asset -38627
            Plus prior& current depreciation 23794
            Bookkeepers calculations
            Cost of asset 38627
            Less prior & current depreciation -23794
            Less the loan blance -9584

Bookkeeper said $8444 will remain
            on the books as a liability

Did bookkeeper calculate this correctly?

Do I use $9584 as the selling price? If so that will generate a 1231 loss (Ln 9 Part 3 of K-1) of $5249

Comment

Shouldn't the repossession have been reported on a 1099-A, not a 1099-C?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                Shouldn't the repossession have been reported on a 1099-A, not a 1099-C?
                If the lein holder repossesses and forgives the debt in the same year, they can issue a 1099C and skip the 1099A
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Let me ask it differently. In this case, the lender didn't issue the 1099-C in 2009. I suppose they could have just messed up, but my first thought is that they haven't written off the remaining debt yet. Even though the borrower has no intention of paying it off, the lender can and should carry the debt on their books until they have better reason to consider it uncollectible.

Given that, wouldn't they be required to issue the 1099-A for the repossession in 2009, even if they expect to issue a 1099-C in a future year? Or is a better assumption simply that the lender is behind on their own paperwork?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                    Let me ask it differently. In this case, the lender didn't issue the 1099-C in 2009. I suppose they could have just messed up, but my first thought is that they haven't written off the remaining debt yet. Even though the borrower has no intention of paying it off, the lender can and should carry the debt on their books until they have better reason to consider it uncollectible.

Given that, wouldn't they be required to issue the 1099-A for the repossession in 2009, even if they expect to issue a 1099-C in a future year? Or is a better assumption simply that the lender is behind on their own paperwork?
                    In this sceanrio, I would expect to receive a 1099A. The fact that the t/p has not received it does not mean it wasn't issued. It might be lost or sent to a different address. Check with the lender.
                    In most states the lender has several years before deciding to cancel the debt. So, a 1099C could come quite a bit after the repo.
                    HTH
                    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Advantage

This can actually work out to one's advantage if insolvency is needed. The asset is gone as of the 1099-A date, but the debt still remains until cancelled (the 1099-C date).
                      Richard Ogg, EA
                      The Master's Tax & Financial Services
                      www.TMTFS.com

Comment

Selling price & future CODI

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                        How I determined loan balance

<snip>

Do I use $9584 as the selling price?
                        If the loan was not forgiven or reduced, the t/p probably has a legitimate complaint. But from a tax perspective, if the t/p fails to get an adjustment on that, then the selling price is probably $0. At a later date there will be CODI of the loan amount.

If the t/p can get a new loan statement showing a reduction for some value in the vehicle, then there is that reduction for the selling price which may still be a loss. That will reduce the future CODI.
                        Richard Ogg, EA
                        The Master's Tax & Financial Services
                        www.TMTFS.com

Comment

Working...
                        X