Foreign Pension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Pension

Taxpayer retired, immigrated to the US and became a permanent resident in 2008.

In 2009, he received a lump sum distribution of his pension from his former employer in the foreign country where he was originally from. The total amount is $50,000. Of which $20,000 is his own after-tax contribution when he was working in the foreign country before he immigrated to the US.

I am sure the $30,000 contribution by his former employer is taxable in US here. But what about his own $20,000 contribution? This is after-tax contribution but the tax has been paid to the foreign government, not to the US government. Does the IRS still consider it 'after-tax'?

Foreign pension

I think I would treat it as after-tax. Has there been any withholding by the issuing country? You might also want to check the tax treaty between the countries.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Pull the tax treaty..

Canadian government pensions are treated as SS benefits on US tax returns for instance.

Also check for a pub on the issue, that's where I found out about the Canadian pensions.

Comment

Originally posted by outwest View Post
        Canadian government pensions are treated as SS benefits on US tax returns for instance.

Also check for a pub on the issue, that's where I found out about the Canadian pensions.
        My client is from Hong Kong. Does anyone know where I can find the tax treaty with Hong Kong?

Comment

Tax Treaty

Try IRS Pub 901 and then I also I just "googled" US Tax Treaty and Hong Kong

It doesn't appear that there is a Tax Treaty between US and Hong Kong, but I didn't search very far or read all of the links. http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/mar...ents-expected/

Might want to try the "google" search and see what you find

Please post back for future reference on your findings.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
            Try IRS Pub 901 and then I also I just "googled" US Tax Treaty and Hong Kong

It doesn't appear that there is a Tax Treaty between US and Hong Kong, but I didn't search very far or read all of the links. http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/mar...ents-expected/

Might want to try the "google" search and see what you find

Please post back for future reference on your findings.

Sandy
            So if there is no tax treaty, Should I assume that we should apply the US tax law to determine the taxability of the pension distribution?

Comment

Worldwide income

He is taxed on worldwide income. The only question is whether to tax the post tax contributions. My first thought was I would not include post tax but after thinking about it since the US did not tax the pension previously I would tax it but then I would claim a foreign tax credit using the accrual option.

Comment

Working...
              X