Non compliant Daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non compliant Daughter

I have an elderly client whose daughter has failed miserably at getting tax information to me.

Is there a way that I can circumvent the daughter and get an income statement from the IRS myself?
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

e-Services

With a POA, use e-Services both to submit the POA and to receive her transcripts.

Comment

not an EA

Originally posted by Lion View Post
      With a POA, use e-Services both to submit the POA and to receive her transcripts.
      What is the form I use? I can't for the life of me, think of it or find it in a Taxwise search. I can't use the 2848. It's another form......
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I think what you want is 8821.
        Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Form

Possi, I think one of the forms is 8821, but I don't think it allows you to access online at E-Services.

See this thread from TA and see if it assists you

It appears from this post you need to only apply for a CAF # and then you can use the 2848

Sandy
          Last edited by S T; 07-19-2010, 08:35 PM. Reason: Addl info

Comment

Correct, it has to be the 2848.

Let's hope the OP has access to the elderly lady to get her signature without having to
            battle the recalcitrant daughter.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Access to the client

Yes, this is a lady that I worked for as a nurse aide, for about 7 years. She is out of town, but I can get her to sign the 8821.

Will I be able to request the documents with the 8821?

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
                Yes, this is a lady that I worked for as a nurse aide, for about 7 years. She is out of town, but I can get her to sign the 8821.

Will I be able to request the documents with the 8821?
                I don't think so. For eServices you need a form 2848 as best I remember, but
                you might check the web site to make sure.
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

use of 8821 Tax Info Authorization to get transcripts

With the taxpayer's own signature on the Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization, you can, even if you aren't an Enrolled Agent, obtain income transcripts or tax return transcripts at no charge from the IRS. Usually you can get on the phone with the IRS and fax the 8821 to them on the spot. They will usually put the requested transcripts into the Transcript Delivery System which is a robot which tries to fax the transcript to the designated fax number, making three tries within the next 48 hours. Sometimes, the IRS person might even be willing to immediately send the fax to you.

If the transcripts are to be sent by mail, that takes about two weeks. If the taxpayer is sitting with you when you call the IRS, you can often bypass the need to use the 8821. In some instances, though, the IRS might decide that since you don't provide the written 8821, they will only send the transcript directly to the taxpayer's own address.

Another very important issue to consider is that 2009 transcripts aren't available until a time considerably later (I don't know how much later) than April 15, 2010.

One thing to beware of is that the state income tax withholding isn't shown on IRS transcripts. That will have to come via the state tax authority.

I agree that the e-services are an even better way to do all of the above.

EA in California

Comment

thanks

I appreciate the information. I should be able to take care of it all when I get back and have that form in my hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X