2009 & 2010 1040X forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 & 2010 1040X forms

I guess its been awhile since I filed an amended return. What happen to the 2 columns on the 1040X? So is line 20 on 10 & 09 form 1040X the net refund after amending?

2009 & 2010 1040X forms

Yep, Line 20 is the net refund. I find myself a bit underwhelmed by the new form. It provides a lot less information to the IRS than did the old one, and it seems to me that it invites correspondence from the IRS. I suspect it may have been designed to expedite the planned e-filing of amended returns.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Welcome

I would welcome being able to efile 1040X returns and attachments

Yes now down to a new one column - so hard to see what the adjustments are. I haven't actually prepared one yet in my software, so wondering, if there is a detail sheet for the changes from original filed, which was the middle column for increase/decrease and then 3rd column on corrected on the old 1040x.

Also wondering how this is going to play in preparing the corresponding State Amended returns.

More challenges

Sandy
      Last edited by S T; 07-09-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Don't see any real issue

when using the old form 1040X, each changed entry required an explanation;
        when using the new form 1040X, each changed entry requires an explanation.

The IRS already has the original figures [old column A], why send them again?
        And, the IRS computer is just as capable as ours when subtracting one new number from an old one.

Finally, it should not even be an issue with your client(s) - after all, they are the ones providing the amending information to begin with.
        Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by travis bickle View Post
          And, the IRS computer is just as capable as ours when subtracting one new number from an old one.
          Considering many of the CP2000s coming out lately, I would seriously question the accuracy of this statement. It may not be the computers, but instead the operators - but still......

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

The CP2000s I have seen

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
            Considering many of the CP2000s coming out lately, I would seriously question the accuracy of this statement. It may not be the computers, but instead the operators - but still......

LT
            have not been a "cannot-do-basic-math" issue.

Instead, the CP2000s have been because the IRS has no idea what the basis is for a stock sale, or because of outright non-reported income (e.g., another W2, a different bank account interest, etc). And, these could have been eliminated outright if the client(s) in question had been a little more forthcoming at the initial interview.

Of course, you may be getting CP2000s for different reasons.
            Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

other than the "oh , i forgot that ", i only got 2 CP2000 , one for a prize winning and a court award and both were the error of the issuer, they reported as non-employee compensation, so IRS was looking for SE

Comment

Working...
              X